[RESOLVED] P3d v4.3 Will Not Start

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Doc_Z

[RESOLVED] P3d v4.3 Will Not Start

Post by Doc_Z »

The sim stopped at the opening screen.

I removed two recent add-ons that might have been causing problems (NY Airports v2 and ImagineSim KLGA), no joy. They remained in the scenery.cfg file, which when I went to save it after looking at it told me that access was denied. I didn't do anything to the file, I always save any file before closing.

I reinstalled the Client, no joy. I went through the delete generated files routine. On starting P3d, it started generating scenery file indexes, but stopped and hung at 96%.
Poppet

Re: P3d v4.3 Will Not Start

Post by Poppet »

Hello Doc_Z

Maybe the topic below will help. Please try step 2 & 3 (Remove all 5 generated file locations)

Then launch Prepar3D and test. Let us know how you get on

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=130201
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

What are the 3 generated folders that removed when I run delete generated folders? Does this overwrite my P3d V4 Addons file and my P3d v4 files?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello Doc_Z

No, The Delete generated files command will remove the Prepar3D generated files from AppData Local \ Roaming and ProgramData.

The 2 Prepar3D folders from the Documents location will not be touched.

To test properly please click and drag these 2 folders to your Desktop then launch Prepar3D and test
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

Once again, as in my original post, the generate scenery file indexes screen ran and then stopped and hung at 96 percent. The new folders in Documents were created.
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

i did not replace the add-on folder to Documents. I reinstalled the Client, but now it freezes at 32% when generating scenery indexes. Seem to be going backwards. Shuld I replace the P3d scenery module?
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

Also, where should the dll.xml and exe.xml files be, AppData or program data. Should there be a file called Controls in AppData?

If it comes to reinstalling the entire P3d v.4.3, is there any way to get around reinstalling all my add-on scenery and aircraft?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello Doc_Z

Have you made any progress ?

Yes, You could run a repair on the Content and Scenery component as well.

Once you complete this run the Delete generated files command again and then launch Prepar3D and test.

Doc_Z wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:54 pm If it comes to reinstalling the entire P3d v.4.3,

Before you reinstall Prepar3D have a look at these steps below

Keep us posted on your situation

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 63#p187294
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

Haven't made progress, in fact seems like I've lost ground. I'll try the repairs. Did you see my questions about the dll.xmy and exe.xml files and the Controls?

I modified the scenery installation, but when I tried to do the same to content, I got an error message that it couldn't find Install Content.msi. I downloaded a copy, but it then said it was an invalid file. Should I unisntall and reinstall content and what do I lose when I do that?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Doc_Z wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:47 pm Did you see my questions about the dll.xmy and exe.xml files and the Controls?

Hello Doc_Z

By default you will have an exe.xml file and dll.xml file in the ProgramData location.

These 2 files can also be created by 3rd party Add Ons in the AppData Roaming location.

By default you will have a Controls folder in the AppData \ Local and Roaming location (two locations)

Doc_Z wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:47 pm I downloaded a copy, but it then said it was an invalid file. Should I unisntall and reinstall content and what do I lose when I do that?

This message means the file did not download successfully, Try using a Download Manager to download this file.

Yes, You could Uninstall & Reinstall the Content component, hopefully this would resolve your Issue. Some Add Ons may be effected, Mostly texture and older Aircraft Add Ons, These can be repaired quickly though. Your Scenery will not be effected.

If you have Orbx Scenery Installed you must launch the FTX Central control panel after a Content update to configure the Autogen files for Orbx again
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

Not sure what you mean by using the FTX Control Panel to update Autogen?

Moot point. It stalled again at 32% of Scenery Index window after reinstalling content.
Last edited by Doc_Z on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello Doc_Z

When you launch the FTX Central control panel it will Automatically configure these files for you.

Launch FTX Central and wait about 15 \ 20 seconds, That's it, You can then close FTX Central.
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

Thanks. Moot point. After reinstalling Content, it stalled again at 32% of Scenery Index window. Looks like clean reinstall, right?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello Doc_Z

Yes, If you have followed all the steps in this topic and have not progressed any further I think a reinstall would be quicker at this stage.

Please see the topic below to Uninstall Prepar3D v4

Keep us posted on your situation

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=125187
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

One more questions, if you don't mind, should I uninstall my add-ons before reinstalling P3d?