Accidentally deleted c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin ... help?

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
federgejzla

Accidentally deleted c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin ... help?

Post by federgejzla »

I was deleting some very old and deleted backups I unknowingly deleted c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin when I thought I deleted "...backup\Users\All Users\Lockheed Martin"- the path shown to me was not on C:\ but it was a link and the data was gone. No recycle bin help - I efficiently deleted them skipping the bin :(

Now my P3D v4.3 won't start. The first time it was (re)started it asked me if I wanted to enable the addons. I, perhaps mistakenly, chose to enable them.

It regenerated the folder but it freezes at 98% of generating the scenery library indexes. If I end the task and start it again, it simply freezes at the splash screen. I edited add-ons.cfg that had all my addons enabled to disable them - that didn't help. Whatever I do now (such as deleting ProgramData again), it won't ask me the same add-on questions.

Is there any help to this without reinstalling everything? We've got many add-ons (sceneries, aircraft, ...)

Thanks!
MikeB54

Re: Accidentally deleted c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin ... help?

Post by MikeB54 »

Have you tried running a repair on the Client?

Mike
federgejzla

Post by federgejzla »

After being reminded by you that I can do that, I just did. It didn't help :(
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello federgejzla

Welcome to the Prepar3D Forum. Please try this step

Navigate to the location below and Click and Move the "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" folder out of this location and onto your Desktop

Note: Do not Copy this folder, Ensure you Move it out of this location

PC ► Documents ► Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

After this step launch Prepar3D and test

Let us know how you get on
federgejzla

Post by federgejzla »

I already tried the equivalent thing. I renamed both folders in Documents to:
  • Prepar3D v4 Add-ons.original
  • Prepar3D v4 Files.original
New folders were (re)created but P3D didn't start.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello federgejzla

Have a look at the topic below and try the steps one by one to help Isolate the Issue

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=130201
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

The files weren't placed in your recycle bin?
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello federgejzla

Just to confirm. Did you delete the ProgramData folder Or the Lockheed Martin folder ?
federgejzla

Post by federgejzla »

Poppet wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:42 pm Just to confirm. Did you delete the ProgramData folder Or the Lockheed Martin folder ?
Lockheed Martin folder inside ProgramData. c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin. Not (all of) c:\ProgramData. I thought I was deleting backups of stuff I no longer need, but still had stuff in ProgramData (backups) I needed to check once more.
WarpD wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:06 pm The files weren't placed in your recycle bin?
No. I was doing a lot of cleanup and recycle bin is slow. Sigh! So I selected the folders and directly deleted them (Shift+F8 in Total Commander). I didn't try to use undelete (recovery) tools timely enough to be able to bring the content back - I had that chance and missed it. :( I started Prepar3D first ... it recreated the folders and, with that, threw away my chance of easy recovery. Recovery tool was able to recover (some) other stuff but not the most important one - P3D.
Poppet wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 am Have a look at the topic below and try the steps one by one to help Isolate the Issue
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=130201
Thanks! Will try. Sorry for the slow turnaround - I have a day job and family duties...
federgejzla

Post by federgejzla »

Tried. As written and also all steps together without intermediate runs of P3D (only at the end).
No difference. Stuck at 98% of "Generating scenery file indexes...", no questions/prompts before that.
Ran as administrator.
federgejzla

Post by federgejzla »

I:
  • Ran "Delete Generated Files.lnk" as administrator
  • Uninstalled the Client
  • Deleted c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin
  • Deleted (moved away) c:\...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons (BVAI, EDDL, FSDT Addon Manager, FSDT KCTL, FSLabs, Male International Airport, MWCR2016, NY Airports v2 X, Orbx ObjectFlow 2, Rovaniemi_revisited_3, Simbreeze, SkyHighSim airports, Spotlights, TenerifeSouthX, UK2000 Common Library, UK2000 Gatwick Xtreme)
  • Deleted (moved away) c:\...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files
  • Deleted (moved away) all additional SimObjects from c:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\SimObjects (aircraft: PMDG 737-*, PMDG 777-*, PMDG P8A Poseidon)
  • Deleted (moved away) c:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\Addon Scenery (FlyTampa-Copenhagen, FlyTampa-Copenhagen_LC, NY Airports v2 X, VHHH, some avatars, flytampa boats, ground vehicles, SODE)
  • Restarted the computer to make sure all state in any DLLs is gone
  • Reinstalled the client
  • Restarted again the computer again, just for the heck of it
Still getting stuck... And some of my config files that I had are gone now, probably because of client uninstallation/reinstallation...

Is there anything I can do to recover short of uninstalling everything? At this point even that seems unreliable as I don't know what is going on...
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello federgejzla

My apologies this topic slipped me by.

How are you getting on now, have you managed to resolve your Issue ?