[RESOLVED] Adding Aircraft onto another drive?

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
DaveB

[RESOLVED] Adding Aircraft onto another drive?

Post by DaveB »

Adding Aircraft onto another drive? With my C drive nearly full is it possible to add new aircraft on to another drive and P3Dv4 see it. If it can be done how do you do it?

I know it was possible on FSX by adding a simobjects Path in the "Main" section of FSX.cfg
downscc

Re: Adding Aircraft onto another drive?

Post by downscc »

Review the SDK documentation in the Learning Center on Addons and how to add them. You have several options, and much more flexibility than the legacy FS2004 ways of adding stuff.
Dan Downs
KCRP
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

downscc wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:18 pm Review the SDK documentation in the Learning Center on Addons and how to add them. You have several options, and much more flexibility than the legacy FS2004 ways of adding stuff.
I'm not looking to add an addon, just a way of storing Aircraft on another drive rather than in SimObjects \ Airplanes.
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

An aircraft is an addon as far as this discussion is concerned. Using one or more of the methods described in the Learning Center will allow you to do exactly what you want to do.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

WarpD wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:11 am An aircraft is an addon as far as this discussion is concerned. Using one or more of the methods described in the Learning Center will allow you to do exactly what you want to do.
Well I must be thick, I can't find any references on how to add another airplane on a different drive.
downscc

Post by downscc »

You are asking the question, "how do I add an aircraft." You have been pointed to the Learning Center to review documentation on how to add an addon... replace aircraft with addon and you are good to go.

An addon can be a simobject (airplane), effects, autogen, scenery, etc. An addon is taken to mean any addon.
Dan Downs
KCRP
ananda

Post by ananda »

I know it was possible on FSX by adding a simobjects Path in the "Main" section of FSX.cfg
How about simobjets.cfg?
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I'm beginning to think everyone is only reading "Adding Aircraft" I'm not asking to add an Aircraft into P3Dv4 so I'll rephrase the question. My C drive is full so I want to place any new aircraft on to another drive not add it to P3Dv4 where it would store it in to SimObjects\Airplanes. So how can I divert it to say drive D
Ebertr

Post by Ebertr »

That is was people tell you in their response to your question. Read the SDK and use the Add-on.xml methode to place your aircraft files to any of your drives. Even network drives would be possible, provided that your network is fast enough.

Ruediger
downscc

Post by downscc »

DaveB wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:10 am I'm beginning to think everyone is only reading "Adding Aircraft" I'm not asking to add an Aircraft into P3Dv4 so I'll rephrase the question. My C drive is full so I want to place any new aircraft on to another drive not add it to P3Dv4 where it would store it in to SimObjects\Airplanes. So how can I divert it to say drive D
There are a number of things you can do to relieve the space constraints on your C: drive.... yeah, this is a better question than your original. First, look at your <user>\Downloads folders and odds are you have at least 100 GB of downloaded files that can be moved to a D:\Downloads. All my flight simulation downloads are on my data drive. Second, if you'd study the SDK as asked a number of times in this thread then you'll find ways to create a SimObject folder on your D;Drive and place any simobject (addon or default) in that location. Third, you can use symbolic links to move the contents of any folder, even ORBX, to your data drive and P3D or ORBX will treat that symbolic directory as the data store... but I mention this third because it will require you researching how to use symbolic links and you don't seem too keen on studying things.
Dan Downs
KCRP
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I've fixed the problem by using LinkMagic.

[REMOVED]
Last edited by Poppet on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited post to comply with Forum rules