P3D crashes on exit with DLL client

Discuss on the SimConnect SDK can be used by programmers to write add-on components for Prepar3D
russdirks

Post by russdirks »

I'm porting my addon from FSX to P3D, and notice that P3D crashes on exit when running my addon, which is comprised of both an EXE and a DLL. After some investigation I have determined that the DLLStop function is not being called at program shutdown, and so my app is not able to close the handle to SimConnect. The problem is not specific to my application ... I am able to reproduce the problem using the sample DLL client found here : http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/ESPdllSimConnect. The problem manifests no matter what version of SimConnect I build against. Looks like a P3D bug to me.
Russel Dirks
FS Force
Win10 64Bit, i5 4670K 3.4GHZ, Radeon RX 580
FSMP

Post by FSMP »

Russ

Check out http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingle ... opic&t=121

This happened before once, and was fixed. ( Got broken in a build)

Good to see you porting your app to P3D.

Geoff
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi Russ,

Yep, it is back. The dev team have identified it and it will be in our next patch. It is a P3D issue and not your addon. It only affects closing of P3D when there is an addon. Looks horrible, but it will be fixed.

John
russdirks

Post by russdirks »

Great! Thanks for your attention to this matter.
Russel Dirks
FS Force
FSMP

Post by FSMP »

Russ

I have also found this necessary, for some of my SimConnect exes.

Even when DLLstop is able to be called correctly, there is always the chance that the Sim may Crash, and your program then would not get closed. If this is a potential issue, you might want to monitor the Sim application process in your EXE, and if it is not running, take whatever action is appropriate.

Geoff
beatle

Post by beatle »

Actually, its a completely different issue :-> In this case, its related to addons that create one or more menu items, SimConnect and the menu system were having a little fight on shutdown.

Tim
russdirks

Post by russdirks »

Any idea on when this patch/fix is going to be released? I'm going live with my addon probably today or tomorrow. (www.fs-force.com)

Russel Dirks
FS Force
WBard

Post by WBard »

Hey Russ,

Happy to have you on-board, excited to have support from FS Force! No formal release date on the patch for v1.2.1, but we are working on it and want to get it out to you all sooner rather than later :D
adiemus

Post by adiemus »

Quote:
Quote from beatle on October 6, 2011, 16:59

Actually, its a completely different issue :-> In this case, its related to addons that create one or more menu items, SimConnect and the menu system were having a little fight on shutdown.

Tim

I'm in the midst of doing the initial port of the VRS TacPack to Prepar3D and am seeing exactly this issue. (Crash in menu.dll on shutdown if I create menu items via SimConnect) I'm using Prepar3D 1.2.3253.0 (SimConnect 1.2.0.0). Is this version known to be affected by this bug? Any ETA on a fix?
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

This will be fixed soon when we release 1.3.

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
adiemus

Post by adiemus »

Alright, thanks.