Weather via METAR API

Discuss on the SimConnect SDK can be used by programmers to write add-on components for Prepar3D
DevSim

Post by DevSim »

Hi folks,

I set the weather via the METAR-like API. Some disturbing facts occur to me and I need an explanation and/or a fix from the Prepar3d folks.

Q1: I set a clear skies METAR, no clouds at all. Prepar3d removes any clouds immediately. After some minutes, however, small clouds begin to form out of the blue. They vanish if I update the METAR string regularly - but this has other effects (e.g. the cumuli clouds change and this is visible to the user). I can attach a screenshot if necessary.

Q2: OVC is not really overcast, more like broken. How can I generate a really overcast cloud layer?

Q3: Lifting the clouds above 20000ft makes them to cirrus like clouds. How can I prevent this?

Thanks,

DevSim
DevSim

Post by DevSim »

Some updates on that one.

Q1: couldn't be observed any more, might have been fixed with V1.2

Q2: If I use 8ST (8 octas stratus) instead of OVC, the texture is slightly better but still not displays 80% blue sky if raised to high altitudes.

Q3: fixed with NTT instead of FEW/SCT/BKN/OVC.

Q2: therefore remains valid, how to have a pure overcast layer of clouds on medium/high altitudes?

Regards,

DevSim
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

I don't believe we have changed the cloud system since the original FSX/ESP source used as a base for Prepar3D. As such, you might want to post some of these questions on the FSX dev forums to leverage the experience of FSX developers as well.

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
DevSim

Post by DevSim »

Thanks,

But as I get the software from LM/Prepar3D, I expect solutions/bug acknowledges/denials/whatnot directly from the vendor.

Regards,

DevSim
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Devsim,

That may be the case however Beau is trying to help you out even though he is currently on leave. We try our best however support is not guaranteed through these forums.

John
DevSim

Post by DevSim »

Thanks John for your off-hours reply (mine is as well ;)),

I know the situation about support and I appreciate every piece of input from you guys.

Regards,

DevSim
DevSim

Post by DevSim »

PS: On the support page it still says:

"Please visit our Forum for support. Prepar3D® developers visit and participate actively in the forums and this will ensure you get the quickest assistance."
N4GIX

Post by N4GIX »

Not sure what your point is. You asked a question and got "the quickest assistance" from someone on vacation no less. The simple fact is that the most experienced people to ask are the long time scenery developers who may be found at FSDeveloper.com.
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations