Multi-Channel Multi-Monitor

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Has anyone managed to get Multi Monitors working in MultiChannel Mode??

I have IGSlave0 set up with 4 monitors in a 2x2 grid.

I have setup SimIG.xml by every method suggested in the Learning Centre and here on the Forum.

However I continually get the primary monitor with one image and then 3 repeats of the same image in the rest of the grid.

See attached picture

If anyone has managed to get it working can they please share their SimIG.xml file?

here is the text from SimIG.xml which generated the attached 4 views:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1,0" id="SimIG">

<Filename>SimIG.xml</Filename>

<SimIG.MasterView>

<ViewOriginID>1</ViewOriginID>

<AutoCalc>TRUE</AutoCalc>

</SimIG.MasterView>

<SimIG.View>

<SlaveName>IGSlave0</SlaveName>

<ViewName>Slave0 Screen 0 Upper Left Corner</ViewName>

<ScreenAdapterNum>0</ScreenAdapterNum>

<SideAngles>-45,0,45,0</SideAngles>

</SimIG.View>

<SimIG.View>

<ViewName>Slave0 Screen 1 Upper Right Corner</ViewName>

<ScreenAdapterNum>1</ScreenAdapterNum>

<SideAngles>0,45,45,0</SideAngles>

</SimIG.View>

<SimIG.View>

<ViewName>Slave0 Screen 0 Lower Left Corner</ViewName>

<ScreenAdapterNum>2</ScreenAdapterNum>

<SideAngles>-45,0,0,-45</SideAngles>

</SimIG.View>

<SimIG.View>

<ViewName>Slave0 Screen 1 Lower Right Corner</ViewName>

<ScreenAdapterNum>3</ScreenAdapterNum>

<SideAngles>0,45,0,-45</SideAngles>

</SimIG.View>

</SimBase.Document>

jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Found the answer to my own problem. Ironic how sometimes when you post a question you then suddenly discover the answer. The SimIG.xml file initially resides in the same root directory as Prepar3D.exe, however when you wish to call it it looks in your AppData folder where Prepar3D.cfg is located. When I read the instructions I copied the SimIG.xml across but I was merrily changing the initial version and not the copied version. Have updated the AppData one now and deleted the root version and all is well.

Cheers

Jim

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX »

You really shouldn't delete the "source version(s)" of any such files. They are there for future reference.
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Quote:
Quote from N4GIX on November 7, 2011, 10:38

You really shouldn't delete the "source version(s)" of any such files. They are there for future reference.

It's in the Recycle bin if I need it!!! :P
Boris

Post by Boris »

Jim,

there is still a menu bar on the lower left screen - could you get rid of this? And are you using one ore more than one PC for this setup?

Regards

Boris

jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Quote:
Quote from Boris on November 8, 2011, 16:12

Jim,

there is still a menu bar on the lower left screen - could you get rid of this? And are you using one ore more than one PC for this setup?

Regards

Boris

Boris,

yes you can get rid of the menu bars, I was more concerned with coverage and pixel alignment than final appearance.

This was done with 2 PCs as I only have 2 developer licences. One PC was the master and only displays the instruments the second PC with 2 Graphics cards (4 ports) was setup as IGSlave0 and can display all 4 images simultaneously. I chose a 2x2 grid

I then setup up the second PC to display only 3, 2 and then 1 image to check that the individual screens were identical.

This is in case there are performance issues and if I need to limit the graphics load on each PC

I also created additional screens beyond the core 2x2 grid to see how those images meshed with the core grid (Used 'PrntScrn' to get screen dumps) even with substantial offsets from the grid the pixel match was perfect. This will be especially useful for helicopters and aircraft with footwell windows and roof windows

In addition I also experimented with offsetting the Eye Viewpoint. In the example below the Centre-Line is in the Centre-Right monitors (about 25%). The Far Right and Far Left Monitors have differing amounts of vertical offset

The core 2x2 grid could be setup on a single PC and you could then place your instruments in the bottom left panel. I chose a Right Hand seat view as I want this for a Helicopter setup (Student sit on the Right, Instructor on the Left)

Regards

Jim

PS: This setup is configured for projectors where the images will butt together. If using Monitors (with edge bezels) it is possible to 'hide' pixels behind the bezels. This is particularly important when banking to avoid zig-zagging of the horizon across monitor joins. This is all nicely explained in Beatles post Re: Multi-Channel Configuration

on: February 26, 2011, 14:40