[Resolved] HUD shifts left

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
skelley

[Resolved] HUD shifts left

Post by skelley »

I have been working with Prepar3D off and on since the 2.4 days and have not seen this behavior until recently. When I take off using either an F22 or F35 (have not tried others) everything is fine until I reach an altitude of about 4000 ft. As I climb through 4k ft and up the attack angle indicator and flight path indicator shift left. If the plane drops below 4k ft the display re-centers. The effect is not velocity related. Also, if the plane turns, the amount of shift changes as though the HUD is following magnetic north instead of true north or vise-versa. I am currently running version 3.4.9.18400.
What might be the cause?
skelley

Re: HUD shifts left

Post by skelley »

Adding more information: I updated to 3.4.22.19168, same problem. If the plane is headed due east or due west the HUD is all centered. If the plane is headed north the HUD shifts right and to the south it shifts left. It is as if the plane is skewed with the rudder. When the rudder is moved the amount of shift changes but the point of origin for the shift is the offset, not center.

I am continuing to experiment to gather more information.
105OE

Post by 105OE »

Sounds like the realistic offset due to crosswind. Have you checked the actual wind during your test?
My airplane art:
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bernt-stolle
skelley

Post by skelley »

Thanks for the reply. I feel pretty ridiculous now. I had my weather settings at "Fair Weather" instead of "Clear Weather" and yes it was the crosswinds. I had thought of crosswinds but was thinking that fair weather meant no crosswinds. Sometimes my brain doesn't do what I want it to.
105OE

Post by 105OE »

No need to feel ridiculous at all! It took me quite some time to find out that that the offset is a feature of many HUDs ;)
My airplane art:
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bernt-stolle