THe dreaded "error creating child window"

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
FireRx

THe dreaded "error creating child window"

Post by FireRx »

This one is a tough nut to crack. all mini menus for all aircraft comes up with that error. I can click ok and manually still start up and fly all aircraft via manual procedures. it's just pesky that it pops up. I searched the forum and did the recommended deletion of the 5 folder/files suggested by Poppet, and restarted Prepar3D.exe in admin mode. all folder were rebuilt and I when I tried to use my shift+ f keys for the each aircraft {ie: for gps. and other functions}, the dreaded "error in creating child window" returns.

Please Help :( . If the next version of Prepar3D is pretty close I'll just live with it til Version 4.
Poppet

Re: THe dreaded "error creating child window"

Post by Poppet »

Hello FireRx

What are your Computer system specs ? What version of Prepar3D v3 do you have Installed ?

Can you remember if this error began when (If) you updated your windows operating system ?

If you plug out all USB devices including extra Monitors (except keyboard and mouse) and launch Prepar3D do you still get the same error when using the shift + f keys ?
dwadsworth

Post by dwadsworth »

What version of WIndows are you using? I had the problem when using Insider update 16176.

Dave
Dave Wadsworth P3DV5.3
i913900 @ 5.5G, 64G DDR5 6000, 3090
Pop

Post by Pop »

I have seen this error msg myself, seem to appear if I disconnect from a add on program.
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

hi Poppet,

I'm on Windows 10 build 16176 on Prepar3D Pro 3.4.22.19868 the latest build.

the error still appear if I unplug my Logitech G940 set up . this all started after Nvidia GPU driver update to 381.65. I did a system restore back to 2 days prior to seeing that error. my last resort is to restore from an older system imagine but if it something I can fix without doing all that it would be appreciated. One thing I did notice is the only thing in my install that are from the same build string is my Client and Content. everything esle are build numbers from when originally purchased Perpar3D. does that make a difference. I was working up until 5 days ago.
Really the only things added in the sim were the updates for Orbx KSAN, and LOWI. I've trouble shot that too. this one has the prepar3d header on the error message

Computer specs
CPU core i7 6900K @4.2ghz
32gbs of Ram
1tb M2 ssd
Windows 10 Pro
full on Orbx scenery
logitech G940 hotas.
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

dwadsworth wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:26 pm What version of WIndows are you using? I had the problem when using Insider update 16176.

Dave
Dave did you find what the cause was on yours?
dwadsworth

Post by dwadsworth »

Release 16176 itself. Rolled back to 16170 and everything worked fine. Clearly something changed in going to OneCore that breaks either P3D or PMDG. You didn't mention what aircraft you were using. I found that the default F22 seemed to work, but none of my PMDG (737NGX, 777 or 747V3) aircraft would work.
Dave Wadsworth P3DV5.3
i913900 @ 5.5G, 64G DDR5 6000, 3090
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

hmmm, odd, my PMDG 737 seem fine as well as my tsfdi 717. it's the older aircraft with the little pop ups with you shift F Keys
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

and yes Poppet,
with everything USB unplugged. I still get the error.