Piston Engine Start URGENT

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
xtremepro67

Re: Piston Engine Start URGENT

Post by xtremepro67 »

Concluding our investigation, we realized in our case that we were searching at the wrong place. This was not a starter issue but a simple fuel tank issue:

It is well known that the sim keeps the fuel tank settings from the previous flight at the start of a new flight. If the aircraft in the previous flight had a different fuel tank configuration, the engines on the new aircraft might be fed by the wrong, empty or inexistant fuel tank(s). Obviously, the engines cannot start under these conditions. This is especially true if the new aircraft has no fuel tank selector or a custom tank selector that needs to be set manually at the beginning of a flight. We solved this problem by adding code so that the fuel tank selector would select the proper fuel tanks for our aircraft when first loaded in the sim, no matter which aircraft was used before. No more engine start issue.
Alain Rouleau
Lead Designer and Producer
Xtreme Prototypes, Inc.
Montreal (Canada)
blackboxgraham

Post by blackboxgraham »

No Sorry ..

After a lot more investigation this is still Incorrect .....

In my Latest ( An L19 Bird Dog) I have the usual Mag selector with the starter code still in place..
i.e Off - 1 - 2 - Both - start
and Also a Start Button ... using (>K:TOGGLE_STARTER1)

With ALL fuel cocks valves switches etc etc in the correct places the engine will start First time and every time with the Magneto starter or Ctrl +E methods....

The Starter button alone ( even with everything else in place " WILL NOT spin the engine enough to allow it to start unless its Held down in the pressed position.

sounds like the default is using a (>K:KEEP_STARTER_PRESSED UNTIL SOMETHING FIRES UP1) event :)

PLEASE LM ... Just supply us with the SAME CODE the Magneto starter uses
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Is your start button calling TOGGLE_STARTER1 when released as well as when pressed?

In FSX the event TOGGLE_STARTER1 wasn't a toggle at all, but rather would "latch" the starter to on until the engine was running or it timed out. In Prepar3D the event is now indeed a toggle. One call, starter is on... another call, starter is off.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
blackboxgraham

Post by blackboxgraham »

This needs a Video :)

please see attached .. I simply want to know HOW to apply the same "length" of starter activity to my Starter Button ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1vrpuwanaarr ... s.mp4?dl=0
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Uh... not wasting time with the video... answer the questions. People can't assist you if you don't answer their questions.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
blackboxgraham

Post by blackboxgraham »

WarpD wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:02 am Uh... not wasting time with the video... answer the questions. People can't assist you if you don't answer their questions.
er Excuse me WHAT Questions??

I apologise If I missed something but there is Absoluteley No Need to be rude
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

My post right above your post where you said "This needs a Video."
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
blackboxgraham

Post by blackboxgraham »

Thank you for your apology .....

The Starter is set as a ONE SHOT trigger and No it does not latch for anything like the amount of time the Ctrl +E Action does .. The whole point of the Video was to demonstrate this

<TooltipText>Push To Start</TooltipText>
<MouseFlags>LeftSingle</MouseFlags>
<CallbackCode>
(M:Event) 'LeftSingle' scmi 0 == if{ (>K:TOGGLE_STARTER1)
</CallbackCode>
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Ok... on my system if I call that event just once... the starter engages and does not turn off. If that is not the behavior you are seeing, you have something that is interrupting the logic of the sim by either calling that event again (toggling the starter back off) or perhaps something to do with magnetos during start?

The one thing I can tell you with 100% certainty is that the event for the starter is indeed a toggle. Call it once and starter is on... call it again and starter is off.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
blackboxgraham

Post by blackboxgraham »

Sorry Ed .. But that's Pure nonsense

I have ONE button .. it toggles the starter .. It lasts less than 2 seconds before cutting off
and NOTHING Else is in the code instructing the starter to either fire again or Stop

Maybe your using a different SDK and Compiler
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

First, you're using XML... there is no SDK nor compiler version that comes into play. XML is interpreted by the sim, you have no versioning that changes the interpretation.

Taking into consideration my software goes on certified trainers... I'm 100% certain my knowledge on how the starter toggle functions isn't pure nonsense.

I do suspect that there could be an issue with magneto state versus starter state. But I'll leave it be. Good luck!
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation