My universal SimPit

Forum for Prepar3D users to share videos they have recorded of Prepar3D.
Rob Ainscough

My universal SimPit

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Rob Ainscough
gpf3m

Re: My universal SimPit

Post by gpf3m »

Very nice, Rob.
dmzagar

Post by dmzagar »

Not bad for an "Old Timer" Rob, I mean keeping track of what all those knobs and switches do. I'm no longer sure I could manage cause there's some kind of age multiplier involved and I'm not yet sure how it works. Impressive though, and I'd like to believe flying the sim would be a piece of cake.
The name "pit," don't ever change it. It adds just the right amount of naughtiness, like if I opened a joint named "Dave's Dive." Humm?
Thanks for showing us what a high quality universal sim is all about and enjoy flying as I know you will. Although I suspect a lot of the fun is in the building.
Dave
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Hey Dave,

I think "Pit" was given to me by my wife ... it's the two places in our house I can retreat to ... my "Pit" and my "Garage" :)

The hardest part of working all the GoFlight buttons/knobs is programming them for use with new aircraft I purchase ... it seems like there are at least 4-5 new aircraft per week for P3D ... so I've toned down my aircraft purchases ... just a little.

I have a printed/laminated knob/button layout sheet for each aircraft that tells me what buttons/knobs are actually programmed/active for that specific aircraft ... usually gets bound into my spiral bound aircraft checklist.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
Michael_B767_ATP

Post by Michael_B767_ATP »

Hi Rob,

Nice setup!
maxam

Post by maxam »

Very nice Rob, I take it that you have central AC pumped in through that floor vent? With all that hardware it must get pretty hot in that room sometimes.

Rob
\Robert Halmich/
Intel Core i9 9900KF - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080TI - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus MB - Corsair 32GB DDR4 RAM
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

In the winter/spring months no AC, just windows ... summer months AC on most of the time, but our house is Solar so no costs involved ... straight from the sun to solar cells to inverter and into my PC ... we're very green :)

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
maxam

Post by maxam »

Very nice! You probably have panels that cover your whole roof then? I have seen how more robust the new systems are. I bet the system pays for itself in no time.

Rob
\Robert Halmich/
Intel Core i9 9900KF - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080TI - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus MB - Corsair 32GB DDR4 RAM
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

21 300 Watt panels which we can monitor their output remotely via web. The newer solar panels are very cool, they look like regular roof tiles and even higher output. The technology is growing rapidly and the cost is dropping drastically. On an average day we're producing about 5000 watts continuous during the day which is more than enough to run everything in our house, even my PC. We've had them for about 5 years now and they have already paid for themselves, next stop are a couple of Tesla batteries (about 5K each).

Don't know about your area, but here in California PG&E rates are increasing by 7% every year and they tier power usage so if people hit that higher tier their power invoice skyrockets. So long as the sun keeps shining, our rates will be the same for as long as we own the home -- long term this is going to save us $50,000 or more not to mention the benefit to our environment.
Rob Ainscough
maxam

Post by maxam »

We have the same tier system here in BC and prices are set to go up over the next few years. One could run a solar setup but it takes an average of 20 years for it to pay for itself. Looks like a sound investment in your neck of the woods though.

Good on you for doing your part.
\Robert Halmich/
FSRobert

Post by FSRobert »

I would not expect anything less for you Rob, you have many talents. Simply love everything you do...BTW I for one very much enjoy the type of weather you had during the making of the video.

...Cheers from a recovering but strong Stockholm.
Michael_B767_ATP

Post by Michael_B767_ATP »

Hi Rob,

Nice setup, your videos are incredible.