[RESOLVED] P3Dv3.4 VERY SLOW 6.5fps

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
cookedinlh

[RESOLVED] P3Dv3.4 VERY SLOW 6.5fps

Post by cookedinlh »

New Install of v3.4.14.18870 loaded and running SUPER SLOW for no apparent reason. Any Ideas?

WIN10 Pro OS with i7-4790K @4Ghz 1TB Samsung SSD 16Gig RAM GTX980 to 3x27" displays GTX driver is latest 376.33
Graphic Settings are minimal using stock F35

Funny thing is if I'm tying here in the forum I can see the P3D window in the background shows 29.9-30fps . . . soon as I bring it to the front it drops to 6.5.... I used to have P3D 3.3 running at 30fps with most graphics and scenery sliders to the right
cookedinlh

Re: P3Dv3.4 VERY SLOW 6.5fps

Post by cookedinlh »

Strangely after switching to full screen view across 3 monitors it went to 30fps right away . . returning to single screen window it went back to 6.5fps and after switching back and forth a few times it now stays at 30fps and I can use sliders with normal effect. . . . it must have been a FIRST TIME USE kind of setup issue and it's sorted itself out.
cookedinlh

Post by cookedinlh »

NOT SORTED OUT . . we are back to 7fps whenever the window is active. If you touch any other window (not P3D) then the P3D window reverts to 32fps and smooth as silk in TrackIR.
Help anyone?
Cookedagain
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

Have you tried running Prepar3D without any addons installed?

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
cookedinlh

Post by cookedinlh »

This is a brand new install to a clean disk . . no addons
As soon as I focus the P3D window the framerate drops to 7 . . if I click on desktop or any other window its 30+ and my TrackIR runs itP3D smoothly
I can push sliders full left or full right . . no difference 7fps if I'm in P3D
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

Hi cookdinlh,

Please see if this post is helpful:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5&t=122822

Many users have reported that resetting the GeForce Experience or NVIDIA Inspector have corrected similar issues.

Additionally, please see this topic for further debugging steps:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246

Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
cookedinlh

Post by cookedinlh »

Hi Adam . . thanks for the notes. I did follow the full uninstall reinstall recommendations best I could. I'm no expert but I've been installing and resintalling since MS2000 and spent some significant time tuning this system through 2.0 3.0 and now 3.4 . . and I've never come across anything like this.

I have done a completely new install on a clean disk with latest nVidia drivers, removed shaders, rebuilt the cfg file and have not added anything to the 3.4.18.19475 build
Stumped!

Seems like it must have something to do with nvidia drivers but what?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

You have 3 monitors.

What do you have them plugged into one card ? which ports? .. or e.g. like 2 graphics cards in use?

Which aircraft are you testing with?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
cookedinlh

Post by cookedinlh »

cookedinlh wrote:Hi Adam . . thanks for the notes. I did follow the full uninstall reinstall recommendations best I could. I'm no expert but I've been installing and resintalling since MS2000 and spent some significant time tuning this system through 2.0 3.0 and now 3.4 . . and I've never come across anything like this.

I have done a completely new install on a clean disk with latest nVidia drivers, removed shaders, rebuilt the cfg file and have not added anything to the 3.4.18.19475 build
Stumped!

Another curious thing is this time when I exited P3D there was another P3D still running. I had to close two P3D windows. There is only one installation in the Programs and Features in the Control Panel . . . and when I look at the Task Manager I see two lines for P3D program one indented below the first. Is that normal? Never seen that before.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

cookedinlh wrote:
cookedinlh wrote:Hi Adam . . thanks for the notes. I did follow the full uninstall reinstall recommendations best I could. I'm no expert but I've been installing and resintalling since MS2000 and spent some significant time tuning this system through 2.0 3.0 and now 3.4 . . and I've never come across anything like this.

Stumped!

Another curious thing is this time when I exited P3D there was another P3D still running. I had to close two P3D windows. There is only one installation in the Programs and Features in the Control Panel . . . and when I look at the Task Manager I see two lines for P3D program one indented below the first. Is that normal? Never seen that before.
I just tested.
One instance of P3D in Task Mgr.

I only close down One P3D window to exit.

I have 2 Viewsonic VX2250WM-LED 1080P Monitors with GTX960 Nvidia 376.33 Win7-64 P3D v3.4.18.19475 (client only update) all ok

I own TrackIr but it was uninstalled long time ago.
Best Regards,
cookedinlh

Post by cookedinlh »

Hi Have 3 monitors . . here is the configuration and it has not changed since P3D 3.2
WIN10 Pro OS with i7-4790K @4Ghz 1TB Samsung SSD 16Gig RAM GTX980 to 3x27" displays GTX driver is latest 376.33
Graphic Settings are minimal using stock F35 and no ADD ONS. This problem corrected itself once on a previous attempt but having deleted everything again on a fresh install we are back to the same behaviour
Strangely also the "scenario" screen on start up does nothing if I try to change location but will allow startup of the stock location in Florida with the F22 if I press OK
I use TrackIR successfully before and now it works fine as long as I am running P3D in a unfocused window. Soon as I go to that window we are back to 7fps. I've checked nVidia inspector and the GPU is running around 13-15% in all conditions.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

cookedinlh wrote:Hi Have 3 monitors . . here is the configuration and it has not changed since P3D 3.2
Graphic Settings are minimal using stock F35 and no ADD ONS. This problem corrected itself once on a previous attempt but having deleted everything again on a fresh install we are back to the same behaviour
Strangely also the "scenario" screen on start up does nothing if I try to change location but will allow startup of the stock location in Florida with the F22 if I press OK
I use TrackIR successfully before and now it works fine as long as I am running P3D in a unfocused window. Soon as I go to that window we are back to 7fps. I've checked nVidia inspector and the GPU is running around 13-15% in all conditions.

Some very abnormal stuff going on with your PC setup / system.

Are you overclocking, heating up inside the PC case , on a home network, custom home cockpit ?
Best Regards,
cookedinlh

Post by cookedinlh »

No I have never overclocked or adjusted anything since I was running P3D3.2 before Christmas . . getting great performance. Checking my GPU with inspector1.9.7.8 I see very low GPU temp 39DegC and useage 4-12%

No Custom Cockpit . . just 3 monitors and X55 HOTAS TrackIR and all loaded on an SSD Samsug 1Tb NOT in x86 Programs . . separate drive from OS
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

Hi cookedinlh,

You mentioned you did not have any add-ons, but list a few add-ons that you are using. We need to eliminate those as a cause first. Can you confirm you have followed all 7 debugging steps and that the issue is still present?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246

Others with similar reports state resetting any graphic driver changes and disabling any enhancers like the GeForce Experience or NVIDIA inspector corrected the issue.

Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
cookedinlh

Post by cookedinlh »

None . . no add-ons at all . . it's a fresh vanilla install on an empty disk.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION: with the help of a fellow simmer in Italy and much messing around with skype and restarts, drivers and settings in display configs
1. do not use nvidia "Span Display with Surround" for controlling 3 monitors ( worked fine before but not anymore)
2. Right click "Display Settings" on the desktop.
3. Select the center monitor as (1920x1080)
4. Under Multiple displays select "Extend desktop to display" and APPLY
5. In P3D under Display Graphic Settings "Full Screen Settings" select 1920x1080
6. Now take the P3D display window and pull the edges out to extend that window across all three displays (approximately)
7. Hit <ALT ENTER> . . voila . . . full screen 5680x1080 display at 55fps with all sliders to the right with 2048x2048 textures

Somehow latest nvidia driver does not play well with multi screen and P3D. Perhaps there is ".nip" file that will do it with surround settings but I've not found a configuration that works. Also the switch between ALT ENTER and back is instantaneous not 4 seconds as normal with surround.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help . . I'm off doing add-ons, aircraft and weather and scenery