Navdata updates

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
simdev

Post by simdev »

Hi folks,

I've noticed several airports having one or more feet offset regarding runway position, threshold position and VASI/PAPI position.

Will there be an update service and/or tool be available for Prepar3D to have the position of these facilities synched to the real world (e.g. as provided by Navtech http://www.navtech.aero/airline_solutio ... _data.html)?

Regards,

simdev
Orsor

Post by Orsor »

Simdev, are you interested in adjusting these yourself? There are a couple good tools for FSX that will allow you to edit or create new Prepar3D compatible airports.

http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/

and

http://www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner/

Orsor
simdev

Post by simdev »

No, manual update is not an option when it comes to hundreds of airport/runways.

Thanks,

simdev
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

The team is aware of the limitations of the legacy data set, and understands that certain training scenarios may require more accurate and up-to-date data. Moving forward, we will do our best to meet customer needs as they arise, but I can't comment on our plans for future features at this time.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
simdev

Post by simdev »

So, Prepar3d and IFR training isn't an option right now :( It is indeed our needs. Thanks for the update.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Just to clarify, is the issue that the nav data doesn't match the visual data, or that they don't match the real world location?
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
simdev

Post by simdev »

I assumed that no navdata has been updated since FSX on your side. RWYs are sometimes off the correct location by a few up to a few tens of feet.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

ADE9X Airport Utility picks up where Lee Swordy left AFCAD uncompleted. In ADE we have automated many of my findings which relate to longhand code writing of XML that has enhanced FS9/FSX.

The Nav database in FSX is back dated and frozen at 2004. ADE opens many many aspects of the navdatabase with the use of an Approach Mode Editor WYSIWYG GPS. This eliminates all the XML hand coding to change runway numbers, Localizer IDENTs for the runway, and most importantly all the approach data that ATC uses.

Jim

scruffyduck

Post by scruffyduck »

Quote:
Quote from simdev on November 2, 2010, 10:36

No, manual update is not an option when it comes to hundreds of airport/runways.

Thanks,

simdev

Automated update may also be a significant issue. Movement of runways, navaids and so on may break the approach code that is based on them. Small changes could certainly be achieved. I can't see any technical reasons that an automated tool could not be made to update any stock file. However the results may not be exactly what is expected and without manual intervention may not be usuable for realistic training.