Shimmering

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
utd4life12

Shimmering

Post by utd4life12 »

Hi guys,

I recently purchased and isntalled P3D V3, hoping the shimmering problem I experienced in 2.5 would be gone, sadly it is not.

I still have terrible shimmering, even with all anti-aliasing settings in the sim on full (On, 8x, 16x) and it is especially bad with the autogen, where trees look extremely shimmery. I also get it in the cockpit of aircraft unless I am zoomed right in on the gauge. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, as my card is a GTX 960 2gb so I don't think it's that, but sadly if I can't get this shimmering to go away, I will have to ask for a refund as it makes the sim unusable for me. Sadly I can't attach a picture as it is not visible when stationary, only when moving/panning around.

I have tried using 4x Sparse grid sueprsampling in Nvidia inspector which helps slightly, but kills performance in cloud so is not a work around for me.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
WarpD

Re: Shimmering

Post by WarpD »

Your video card doesn't have enough memory.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
utd4life12

Post by utd4life12 »

2gb is not enough? I don't have the problem in FSX, no problem with shimmering at all
Saul

Post by Saul »

I found that Switching off FXAA and on MSAA with Texture filtering at 16 works best for me.
I have noticed a difference from a 1080 and 4K resolution where 4K show much less "Shimmering" so Perhaps if you can use DSR it will help in a similar way.
utd4life12

Post by utd4life12 »

I've tried DSX, still terrible shimmering unfortunately
utd4life12

Post by utd4life12 »

The difference between the AA settings in the sim being completely off and on the highest settings is tiny, hardly noticable - it's like the AA doesn't even work properly for me in the sim
delly

Post by delly »

I have been trying to fix this as it is very poorly optimised in Prepar3d, worse than FSX.

The best image quality I can get is using NVidia 4x DSR with 33% Softness / NO FXAA / NO MSAA / Trilinear or 2x Anisotropic

This effectively bypasses the poor AA settings in Prepar3d and uses the DSR softness to effectively AA (this is what AA is really).

It is a shame that NVidia / LM can't implement a half decent AA algorithm but this workaround is not too bad. Problem with it is you cannot read any of the text (like ATC) in the sim.
sbs9

Post by sbs9 »

The only effective cure for shimmering is 4xSGSS in NI + 4xMS in P3D3, but you must have a very strong GPU (like 980 Ti) as the performance cost is enormous, especially in clouds. Another very solid solution, not so much FPS heavy, is 8xSS + 8xMS proposed by Kosta:
Kosta wrote:It's maybe only me imagining, I will have to confirm it - if I turn on only 8x SS (not SGSS) on transparency and transparency MS on "enabled", I get better picture, especially those lines on PMDG737-wings (not as good as 2x SGSS in FSX), but close enough. Scenery shimmering still noticeable but also less.
Performance is quite acceptable though - was departing Vienna yesterday, with ASN and PMDG737, and it was really bad weather here, full skies also in P3D, and my 980 was chugging away with about 90-95%, which is OK for my settings (which are relatively high) and the given situation.
Try it, maybe you like it. I still have to make comparison to see how much difference really.
In sim, 8x MS and FXAA off.
I think this is the most efficient antialiasing for P3D3 at the moment. I combine it with FXAA enabled in NI (OFF in P3D3).
John York

Post by John York »

From the sound of this I've been lucky.

I could almost say I get no shimmering at all but the exception are the bridges in photo scenery. I never fly in default, only using mostly Photo Scenery enhanced with ES and UK2000 and where not, Orbx where I get no shimmering at all.

However, if you're using addon scenery emanating from FS9, the shimmering will extend to buildings, particularly windows and, of course, as has been mentioned trees.

John