Can my PC be used with gtx960?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Langhan

Post by Langhan »

Hi, I'm just wondering if my desktop can hold a graphic card of GTX 960 2 GB graphic card...
My computer specs are : CPU - i7-3770 3.4GHz, Motherboard's P8Z77-M and the power supply is Thermaltake TR2 800W... I hardly know about how the graphic cards can b compatible with what motherboard , so please...if possible, can u help me whether i can use the graphic card without neither the cpu nor the motherboard?
Saul

Post by Saul »

Hi,

All modern GPU have a PCIe version number. They are all backwards compatible with lower numbers.
So if your Motherboard was a PCIe v1 then the latest v3 card will work on your motherboard.

One thing to watch out for is the actual sizes of graphics cards and the power consumption.
You will need to make sure:
1, you have the physical space inside your computer case to have 2 GPU's. Higher spec GPU's are usually BIGGER so look at the size of the cards you want to use and measure the space available.
2, you have ample power supply to add another card. 800W should be enough but in some case its would not be.
Hellzone

Post by Hellzone »

Langhan, i reviewed your mainboard. Your 100% set for that graphics card and it will provide its full bus speed as its a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard and graphics card.
Power supply is more then enough for a GTX 960.
The only thing that really needs to be said here is the actually case. If its a mid size or above your set, I doubt you will have any space issues.
Mini atx or micro atx will normally run you into problems.
GTX 960 uses 2 slots.

Hopefully that give you the answer your looking for.