P3D Pro Plus multichannel effects problem

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
f111sim

P3D Pro Plus multichannel effects problem

Post by f111sim »

Hi everyone,
I have been successful in setting up Multichannel with a Host and ONE Client and this is working as I would expect.
My F-111 (user) has weapons attached and I am able to see them launch on both the Host and the Client. My Network.cfg is setup correctly, as is my Multichannel.xml.
All good!
I have now designed a scenario in SimDirector with several Scenery buildings that have explosion/fire type Effects attached that are Proximity triggered with an Area setup around each building. I have set the Proximity triggers to “Anything” as the trigger reference. This enables me to test my explosion/fire effects by launching a missile at the building. This works very well when I view this on my Host computer BUT nothing happens on my Client computer. I am able to see the buildings and I can see the missiles hit them but all they do is pass through the buildings and explode when they hit the ground on the other side.
I have un-installed and re-installed Client and Contents on BOTH Host and Client computers but this makes no difference. The Effects folder is EXACTLY the same on both as well.
Everything works as I would expect on the Host but NOT on the Client.
I have searched the forums hoping to find a solution but what I did find didn’t help me at all.
Can anyone help me here, please?
Regards,
Rod
f111sim

Re: P3D Pro Plus multichannel effects problem

Post by f111sim »

Ok. I did some reading and it appears that what I feared is true. I have 2 x AMD Radeon GPUs in my External Views computer and 2 x Nvidia GPUs in my main computer.
With the main PC set up as the Host in Multichannel, I can see every effect I place there with SimDirector but they don't display on my External Views PC, as Client.
I then setup my External Views PC as the Host and found that no matter what drivers I used for the AMD GPUs, the effects would not display on this PC. So that proved to me that it's not a Multichannel issue.
I've read a lot about AMD cards and driver issues recently and believe this is the basis of my problem. The articles I read were dated back to 2017 and beyond and I was hoping that AMD would have gotten their act together by now but it appears not.
So it looks like I need to invest in a couple of Nvidia cards to replace the AMD cards :-(
It's strange because the scenery, clouds and rain effects work very well with these AMD cards, it's just the effects like smoke, contrails, landing lights etc that don't show up - only on the Main computer.
Time to put my hand in my pocket again!
Rod
f111sim

Post by f111sim »

Finally – a fix!
After a lot of uninstalling/reinstalling of P3D Pro Plus on both computers I was able to narrow down the problem to the method of installing ORBX scenery. If I chose to install this scenery in Options > Addons as is recommended, the effects were displayed on the host computer but not on the clients.
I then uninstalled the ORBX scenery from Addons and manually entered each in the World > Scenery Library. It took some time as I wanted to test for the effects after each in case one particular scenery was causing issues. However, ALL the scenery I had used previously and require for my scenarios is now installed and everything has been working correctly for a week now.
I don’t understand why placing the scenery in the Options > Addons area should cause effects data not to be sent over multichannel. There is something there that multichannel does not like.
I may have been wrong about the AMD Radeon GPUs being a part of the problem but I’m not willing to refit them at this time just to see if it all still works. The Nvidia GPU is working well so I will leave it as is and keep the AMD cards as spares.
f111sim

Post by f111sim »

After extensive testing I can confirm that everything is working as I require. I have developed a “bombing range” using SimDirector with various Entities added to the site as well as SAM units. I can fly from my home base to the bombing range and drop bombs or fire AGMs at the different targets and if I’m accurate enough, I can destroy them. That’s also provided the SAMs don’t shoot me down, which can happen if I don’t take avoiding action or forget they are there. The explosion and detonation type effects I wasn’t seeing initially are now seen on my External Views screens and look realistic and impressive.
I had one hiccup yesterday when I added a new effect to the list on my host computer and forgot to add the same to my client computer. When I started the scenario I wasn’t able to see any effects displayed at all on my views screens. So that's a reminder that everything on the host computer must be duplicated on the client/s in multichannel mode. I read that somewhere in these forums and thought I would confirm that.
Now it's time to add more targets in SimDirector and setup more scenarios. Great fun!!!

Regards,
Rod