DE/KE weapon interaction

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
MicMac44

DE/KE weapon interaction

Postby MicMac44 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:56 pm

In the P3D v4.4 release one line that caught my eye was:

"Added laser fire and detonation DIS PDUs."

Does this mean that a DE weapon (e.g., Laser) can interact with and disable a KE weapon? My thoughts were that P3D used DIS protocol 6 and that DE weapon DIS PDUs were added in version 7.

So far I've not had any luck in having any interaction occur.

Thank you

Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: DE/KE weapon interaction

Postby Clifton Crane » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:03 am

Hi MicMac44,

The Laser should be issuing DIS 6 Fire and Detonation PDUs as well as DIS 7 DE Fire PDUs. Can you confirm that the laser is actually firing?

Currently, P3D only broadcasts these PDU's, nothing is done as they are received. However a P3D Laser can target other objects such as a vehicle or weapon. The Laser's targets would be dependent on the parent object's Fire Control System target. Targets can be set via key events, AI behaviors, or PDK.

Hope this helps.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

MicMac44

Postby MicMac44 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:59 pm

Currently, P3D only broadcasts these PDU's, nothing is done as they are received.
This answers what I really wanted! I have not been using the P3D DE weapon, it is coming from another sim but if nothing is done with the PDUs then that answers that! Are there plans to have these PDUs effect P3D SimObjects? (e.g., vehicles, weapons, etc...).

Will a detonate PDU from an external KE weapon effect P3D weapons?

Thanks for your response

Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Postby Clifton Crane » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi MicMac44,

I should have been more specific, P3D does process DIS 6 Fire and Detonation PDU's to display effects such as muzzle flash and explosions. We do not however process the DIS 7 DE Fire PDU.

If the Detonation PDU has a target entity defined and the detonation result is of type entity you should see the P3D entity's health points be set to zero.

There is also new DIS PDK functionality that has been recently added that allows developers to receive callbacks as PDU's are sent and received by P3D, as well as the ability to create and send their own PDU's. This gives a plugin the ability to potentially implement unsupported PDU's.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

MicMac44

Postby MicMac44 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:48 pm

There is also new DIS PDK functionality that has been recently added that allows developers to receive callbacks as PDU's are sent and received by P3D, as well as the ability to create and send their own PDU's. This gives a plugin the ability to potentially implement unsupported PDU's.
Do you have an example or time to write a quick example showing how to setup the callbacks? I'm struggling to get the OnSend() and OnReceive() callbacks from P3D::IPduCallbackV440 to capture PDUs. I've been trying to use code from other examples but no luck so far.

Thank you

Return to “Prepar3D Professional Plus Client Application Questions”