How do I get some Air and Ground Targets for Weapons testing

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
whitav8

How do I get some Air and Ground Targets for Weapons testing

Post by whitav8 »

Is there a sample program in the SDK/PDK that will generate some test targets for Weapons testing?

Thanks

Dave W.
P3Dv5, P3Dv4.4 9700K@5Ghz, 32gbRam, RTX2070,HP Reverb HMD
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: How do I get some Air and Ground Targets for Weapons testing

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Dave,

You can either turn on traffic or add entities using SimDirector. Using SimDirector will allow you to position these objects and control their AI if desired.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

Rob,
OK, I am learning SimDirector and I added both some ground items like an SA-2 and a tank plus three aircraft with a waypoint list. I am using the Lockheed-Martin F-16 Blue Camo for ownship and I could see the aircraft (I am using the CRJ for targets) visually and on the radar but when I fired two Sidewinders from behind, neither of the missiles tracked. Do I need to set up some attributes on these targets (AI Combat Patrol, etc)?

Dave

BTW, I am having SimDirector crash occasionally right after loadup (Prepar3D window graphics becomes visible and then the crash - error log says the module nvwgf2umx.dll . I will try a clean install of Nvidia drivers but I do not see this crash with any other 3D applications.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Dave,

Do you see the targets populate in the weapons gauge? Also if you can consistently reproduce the crash after updating the drivers would you be able to generate a crash dump and PM me a link to the file?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

Rob,
OK - I'm just learning this (obviously). I didn't realize I had to "populate" the targets with the weapon gauge (which unfortunately can't be seen in VR and can't even be seen in an undocked window unless you come out of VR). So, that worked and I had my first shootdown - very nice!

I just have an aircraft hooked to a Waypoint List - I can't find a tutorial that shows how to best setup an AI target.

Second issue, I can't get SimDirector to run without crashing consistently IF and only IF I start Prepar3D.exe first. I had forgotten that you can start SimDirector by itself and there is NO crash then. I would be glad to set up so I get a crash - where is the crash dump file? Should I use Visual Studio 2015 to be running it so as to get the assembly language just before the crash?

Thanks for your help!

Dave
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

Rob,
Here is the link to the crash dump file I get when I try to access SimDirector from the Tools tab instead of directly starting SimDirector.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah-GN1pAHAEHiRWCrjS-ltYWuYnL (2+ gb file)

Thanks

Dave W.