Install fatal error

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
bwbriscoe

Install fatal error

Post by bwbriscoe »

I've just returned to simming after 10 years away. I've just bought a brand new top of the range PC, so thought I'd give it a go.

Completely clean and brand new install of everything, go to install P3D v5 and it fails, everytime. I get the following message:

"Prepar3D v5 Content requires Prepar3D v5 to be installed"

Click on OK

Then get "Setup failed...0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation".

Please someone, help! It's so frustrating that this programme can't install properly.
JorgenSA

Re: Install fatal error

Post by JorgenSA »

You are not saying exactly how you're installing P3D, but what we need to do is to purge your system of every trace if it, then install again, using the correct procedure.

First of all, use Control Panel's "Uninstall a program" to look for Prepar3d v5, if there are anything there, uninstall all of those found.

Then go to your Documents, and remove anything there from Prepar3D v5.

If you installed to a different drive than your C: drive, then go to that drive with Explorer (File Explorer, not Internet Explorer) and remove the Prepar3d folder, if you installed to the C: drive then skip this step.

Now, using Explorer, go to the C: drive, and in the Search box in the top right-hand corner type "Prepar3D v5" - without the quotation marks. Let the search run, and after it finishes delete everything found. A few items will not let themselves be deleted, and that is OK, as long as the folders get removed.

Now, your registry needs to be cleaned. For that I use two tools, both freeware: first I use Eusing's Free Registry Cleaner, then I use the Registry Cleaning option of Ccleaner, but there are other freeware tools out there that do the same.

Now, reboot, and it is time for installing. You only need the big 22 GB download, and you need to unzip it. After you do that comes some very important steps:

1. Turn off all your anti-virus for the installation, and

2. Decide on a folder to install to outside the default C:\Program Files location (something like C:\P3D is fine), create the folder, and then

3. Right-click on Setup.exe and select "Run as Administrator" (this is really really important)

The installation process should now run. The first questio0n you will get is the license agreement, on that screen in the bottom left-hand corner there will be a selection called Options. Select that, and manoeuver to the folder you created for installation, go back and accept the license agreement, and let the installation run on. It will take a long time, as you can imagine, just leave it alone during the whole process. After it finishes, reboot.

Now, right-click on the Prepar3D icon, and from the menu select Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab, put a check mark in the box "Run this program as Administrator", click "Apply" and then "OK" at the bottom.

Run P3D, and when its selection screen comes up, just click OK to accept the default flight. Take off and fly around a bit for some minutes, then hit the Esc key and exit P3D. Reboot again, which makes sure that the files and registry settings generated during the first run are saved properly.

Now you should be ready to explore the wild wacky world of P3D!

This is a lengthy procedure, but it looks worse than it actually is.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.