Re - installing P3D

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
Martyson

Re: Re - installing P3D

Postby Martyson » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:40 pm

To Martyson
home built by Pro - / user upgraded by pro May 2019
Installed P3DV4 approx. June 2020 no probs,

Reinstalled(repaired) - update HF 1 - no Probs - a little faster

Bought new drive - uninstalled (Control Panel) - ostensibly to speed up reloads - reinstalled (repair) v4-H2 - November update on virgin 2TB HDD drive exclusive

Installed OK - and no probs for a day or 2 - until ---

accidently stopped a flight - in flight - not saved !

Start screen no longer with default P3D - start screen shows old flight - Aircraft and airport
tried to save - successfully - deleted - but still there on next Start Up

Start a new A/c and airport - displays Cockpit OK - but mouse does not work - rings bell when
clicked on switches - and menu bar ----- throttle prop mixture pedals - Yoke etc all work to saved profile

because I cant use menu - I have to delete P3D with Task Manager

Restart P3D - screen shows the old flight /in flight map position
mouse is working - undo pause - starts with flight as originally closed down - resettle aircraft S+L

Menu new flight - enter details - sometimes mouse will work on switches - and flight OK - sometimes it doesn't !!

Hence the frustration to do a complete uninstall as per PDF

Window 10 64bit - 1050T! - I5 - 3.9 h

All aircraft Carenado via JF - all scenery Orbyx exclusive

XP 11 installed on sep drive - and FSX SE on another - and no problems (TW!)
Ok,
You have a home built PC which you have now installed hardware upgrade to improve performance.

You made "user" entries and registry" changes, correct?

Your problems with P3D and your mouse started after you upgraded your PC, correct?

And, you already have downloaded and installed P3D in the past without problems, correct?

I am wondering if your current problems are with your PC?

Note:
"Installed P3DV4 approx. June 2020 no probs,"
Did you mean June 2019?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:58 pm

John, it may be that I am naive in this, but I trust my browser's download function, and I just down loaded P3D and installed without ever checking the checksums.

This is Google Chrome, which never has given me any issues for many years.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 graphics w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Thrustmaster HOTAS-X, Windows 10 Home

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:04 pm

John, it may be that I am naive in this, but I trust my browser's download function, and I just down loaded P3D and installed without ever checking the checksums.

This is Google Chrome, which never has given me any issues for many years.

Jorgen
Would you recommend your practice of never checking the download ZIP file's Checksum before installing the product to others downloading payware products using various browsers?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:20 pm

I am not recommending ANYTHING - I am sharing my experiences!

When Chrome detects an error during the download, it aborts the download and says "Network error".

In about 10 years, when a download has gone OK with Chrome, I have never had one error with the downloaded files. And that has been where I live now in Germany, with a download speed of about 400 Mb/sec., or where I lived before, in 2 places in the Philippines with download speeds of 5 Mb/sec.

These are my experiences... whether people like them or not, or whether they want to do something like I am doing is completely up to them.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 graphics w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Thrustmaster HOTAS-X, Windows 10 Home

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:32 pm

I am not recommending ANYTHING - I am sharing my experiences!

Jorgen
Pilots posting problems in the forum should, IMO, be asked if they checked their downloaded ZIP files Checksum.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:40 pm

Then there are a couple of questions to ask - which browser was used, and how was the checksum checked?

As I can see it, looking through the thread, the method used in checking the checksum here could have caused the issue.

What I would recommend trying at this point is to download again (groan) and then try the install without checking the checksum!

You may then say that this is reckless advice, but what can it hurt? Everything else has failed.....

Jorgen

jayteeaitch

Postby jayteeaitch » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:47 am

To Marty.
I think that somewhere/somehow you misread my step by step missive above - and sort of Inferred that we didn't know what we were doing when we built the computer 9 years ago - or when we upgraded it.
My son and I owned a computer shop back in 1984 onwards

The Computer hardware upgrade took place long before I returned to Flight simming
The only change since last May was the install of 3 new - 2TB drives for my 3 flight sims exclusivity
One drive was fitted with the new version P3D v4 Hotfix 2 - and that's when I started to have problems.

Thankyou all - esp Jorgensen and and Dave - for trying to help - and I repeat
Every time I downloaded the Zip file - I checksummed it - with the result of the "Tick" OK !!

In these modern days - with Internet speeds being way better than the not too distant past -
why do we still use zip files ? - which have always been fraught with problems

For the last 24 hours - since trying to repair - or reload P3D - I have been flying for some 6 hours in
FSX Steam - (installed by Steam) - using my Orbyx scenery and JF aircraft ---- installed on the 2TB drive
vacated by PD 3.- and 2 hours in XP11 - on it's own 2TB drive

My only problem - is ---- My Landings - which I was never proud of when I was physically flying
my own A/c 30/50 years ago.

Flight sims -good as they are - can't replace that "seat of the pants" experience and relies just on the
zeros and 1s.

Thanks again Chaps --- John Heaton

jayteeaitch

Postby jayteeaitch » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:37 pm

When one gets to 85 - one has almost used up any patience with trying to solve problems
that younger people find easy to solve
Last week - I just about used all the patience I had left with trying reinstall P3D
despite the help you guys tried to give.

By the same token - one doesn't like to be beaten by a few zeros and ones so in the words or
King Robert the Bruce - try - try again.

I did - and bingo - I have P3D up and running - and I think I know how I did it
All along I thought there was a step missing - it was to not just extract - but extract the downloaded file -
suitably Hash checked etc - to itself in a new folder

(Previously - My wonderful windows 10 kept asking me - did I want to open the file
and when said - Yes - it opened the file - and the mistake I made was to start to use it from there.)

This time - I went the individual way to install and it flew into being back in my computer

Thanks again guys - I went to bed last night - a Happy simmer - and my $$ were safe once more

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:38 pm

BINGO!!!

Happy to hear about this happy ending.

Jorgen

part-time-punk

Postby part-time-punk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:14 pm

Great news!
Happy flying....

Dave.

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”