Reinstalling P3DV4 and Addons

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
edziura

Reinstalling P3DV4 and Addons

Postby edziura » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 pm

I am considering uninstalling and reinstalling P3DV4 (to the same computer). I wish to do so because P3DV4 always crashes on the first start attempt but runs successfully on the 2nd attempt, and, it would help me clean up a few minor issues with a number of addons (I hope).

Pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but just to confirm:

If I do a complete uninstall/reinstall following the P3D instructions posted elsewhere on this site, I will have to reinstall all my addons (FSUIPC / aircraft / scenery / GSX, etc.), correct?

The instructions for uninstalling advise backing up addons before uninstalling. Not sure if this is related to my question.

Tips from anyone who has done an uninstall/reinstall on the same computer would also be welcome.

Thank you,

Eric Dziura

downscc

Re: Reinstalling P3DV4 and Addons

Postby downscc » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Depends. I know that's not what you want hear; however, just go down your list:

Items using the SDK recommended method for addons are GSX and probably most scenery but not all. FSUIPC still uses the legacy method (dll.xml in this case) and aircraft it depends. PMDG still uses the legacy method.

I recommend understanding how addons are installed, it makes it easier to reinstall when you feel you must.

Bottom line is that I recommend AGAINST reinstalling P3D unless support recommends it. You are more likely to create new problems than fix the old one. Why not troubleshoot your problem and fix it?
Dan Downs
KCRP

JorgenSA

Re: Reinstalling P3DV4 and Addons

Postby JorgenSA » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 pm

I agree with Dan. Reinstalling without making sure that the problem issue is fixed, is not going to solve anything, especially if the problem issue is an OS issue.

So, take a look in the Event Viewer and post what it says here.

Jorgen

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”