P3Dv4.5 Install Location

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
ReggieBigglesworth

P3Dv4.5 Install Location

Post by ReggieBigglesworth »

I am using Windows 10 .
When installing P3dv 4.5 where does in install .
in C: Program Files or in
C: Program Files (x86).

Thank you
WarpD

Re: P3Dv4.5 Install Location

Post by WarpD »

It would not install in the Program Files (x86) folder as that is the location that Windows place 32-bit applications. It will default to installing into your Program Files folder.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
ReggieBigglesworth

Post by ReggieBigglesworth »

Thank you so much for the response . I thought that may be the case but being a bit of a luddite in these matters I sought advice .
Thanks again
downscc

Post by downscc »

ReggieBigglesworth wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:58 am Thank you so much for the response . I thought that may be the case but being a bit of a luddite in these matters I sought advice .
Thanks again
Your question was precisely answered but if you had asked for a recommendation of where to install P3D I would have replied that most experienced users will not install it to the default location due to the sometimes intrusive Windows always popping up messages boxes asking if you are sure you want to do what you just told Windows to do. Some users will have second and third memory drives for all their hobby stuff and install P3D elsewhere. I keep P3D on my c: system drive but install P3Dv4 to C:\P3D\P3Dv4 and when v5 comes out it will go into C:\P3D\P3Dv5. Simple.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Zentiger

Post by Zentiger »

When you install a new version of P3D as you suggest such as for 4.5- do you delete the older versions from the drive? What about the add ons? Chase Plane...Orbyx etc... like you idea!
downscc

Post by downscc »

Zentiger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:07 am When you install a new version of P3D as you suggest such as for 4.5- do you delete the older versions from the drive? What about the add ons? Chase Plane...Orbyx etc... like you idea!
Minor version updates such as 4.4 to 4.5 only require that the client module be uninstalled with windows and new version installed.

All of my add-ons (except PMDG) are on a different drive. Even Orbx, which requires that it be in the simulator root directory, is linked with a symbolic link (use Google) to the second drive while logically looking like it is in the root directory. I could have done that with PMDG too but it doesn't take as much space and I'm always installing/uninstalling those products in my beta tester role. All my scenery addons, except Orbx, are added with the auto discovery method so the new version of P3D finds them on its own. All that is required of Orbx is to run the FTX Central and it fixes itself in the new scenery.cfg.

The last hotfix update took me about 5 min, and the only addon requiring an update as well was Active Sky. I don't have any REX which has been creating problems. Just lucky there.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Zentiger

Post by Zentiger »

Thanks. Bit over my head!! I appreciate the advice.