Development and Testing Platform

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
PaulFWatts

Development and Testing Platform

Postby PaulFWatts » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi,

I'm currently running P3D 4.4 on a Windows 10 PC. I have a lot of add-ons so it is very much a non trivial exercise if I need to reinstall (including taking and recovering an image backup).

I've recently been accepted as a tester for 1 of the major P3D development companies and I want to setup a Development/Test platform with 2 instances of P3D on my PC (I don't have a seperate machine for this purpose). One would be my "Production" platform with all my add-on's etc and the other my "Test" platform with a virgin installation of P3D and the various releases of the software I will be testing.

I would prefer not to fool around with Virtual Machines if possible and quite happy to buy a developer license to facilitate having a 2nd license for P3D.

Key thing I want to avoid is having any problems with running 2 instances of P3D on the same machine.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Re: Development and Testing Platform

Postby Brady Butler » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:27 pm

Hello PaulFWatts,

Unfortunately the easiest way to run two Prepar3D instances on the same machine is by using a Virtual Machine. Alternatively, if you have two hard-drives you could swap out the C: drive every time you want to swap between the two instances (if you really want to avoid VM's that much). You would also need a separate license for each instance.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

elmucki

Re: Development and Testing Platform

Postby elmucki » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:22 pm

like Brady mentioned, VMs are the simplest and most efficient way to go. Swapping drives is actually quite simple but you do need the second license. Which is not expensive either.

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”