Help needed choosing flight sim

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
COLANGUS7

Help needed choosing flight sim

Postby COLANGUS7 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'll try here first.
My father in-law is an 85 year old retired AF pilot who was using FSX 2006 on an old computer, and becoming very frustrated with performance.
We purchased a new Win10 computer for him for Christmas, and I installed both FSX Steam edition and X-Plane 11.

He proceeded to uninstall everything out of frustration (not familiar with any of the new stuff, and didn't take the time to learn about add-ons etc.) He then re-installed his old FSX Deluxe, but is now becoming frustrated with that as well.

There is simply too much information out there online for me to decipher it all in any reasonable amount of time.

Cost is really not an issue for us, so we'd even consider a paid, professional installation if possible. We just need a few key plane models, and the ability for him to fly using realistic ATC and charts to a small list of airports he's familiar with.

Any suggestions, links to articles, professional referrals or otherwise would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

downscc

Re: Help needed choosing flight sim

Postby downscc » Sat May 05, 2018 5:04 pm

I suspect the 85 yr old pilot would be at least somewhat frustrated with anything but the real thing. You didn't specify what his frustration is based on.... is it performance or realism? I don't think there is such a thing as a realistic ATC program, the default ATC in any platform is for inexperienced gamers, not experienced pilots. There are on line ATC services such as VATSIM that depending on where he flies might be a solution here.

As for platforms, you didn't mention his problems with XPlane (I have many and am very biased). However, P3Dv4 is a much better implementation of FSX, which has not been updated in any significant manner even by Dovetail and their Steam implementation since original release. And this is a P3D forum so you are asking P3D users what we think is a good platform. I am retired USAF but my pilots license came by way of AF Base Aero Clubs and I've been flying since early 70s up to about 5 years ago and I am very happy flying a PMDG aircraft in P3D with lots of Orbx scenery and the HiFi Active Sky weather generator. There are quite a few retired AF pilots in the PMDG forum, most of them prefer either the B777 or B747 long haul aircraft but the DC-6 also has quite a few serious fans. There is also a freeware C-47/DC-3 simulation out there that is of as high quality as anything you can buy.

Also I think it is important for him to have quality controllers (yoke or joystick, throttles and rudder pedals). It makes it easier to achieve a quality simulation experience.

I hope this helps and look forward to hearing from your father-by-law over in the PMDG forums.
Dan Downs
KCRP

Return to “Other Support Questions”