Dueling P3Ds

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
cookedinlh

Dueling P3Ds

Postby cookedinlh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:57 pm

I need help migrating to v3.4. I know I probably should have uninstalled C: drive P3Dv3.3.2 first but I wanted a clean install on a new fast SSD, but now I've got competing versions and not sure how to proceed. The link below shows C: and G: drives files structure now.

After rebuilding my sim system I upgraded to v3.4 and installed it on a fresh new 1Tb SSD . . at the root of a drive called "Primary (G:)" . . Not sure why that was because I was expecting the "Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v3/..." structure to be there. The old install was 3.3.2 still on C: drive . . with a few G's of scenery and extras I planned to transfer.

A first test showed impossibly slow frame rates of 5pfs and less. All this can likely be fixed by deleting everything and starting over but before I do all that could someone suggest the best way to install P3D on it's own drive without losing all my original scenery and setups . . I have REX4 Tex, REX4 clouds, many custom Aircraft, TrackIR, FTX Global, and a pile of Photo real scenery. . . and I'd really rather have it all on the new fast 1Tb with everything located completely on that drive . . or is that wrong if the WIN10 OS is on the C: drive? What is the best way to recover from this and preserve my original sim data.

Thanks for any suggestions
Cookedinlh . . . cooked again

http://www.dcooke.com/flight-sim.html

elmucki

Re: Dueling P3Ds

Postby elmucki » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:24 pm

google PMDG FSX/P3D complete uninstall guide. Its straight forward and will make sure you wont miss anything. Before you do that thou, make sure you unregister any serial numbers just in case for future use. Then reinstall by creating a folder on the new drive (i did "Prepar3d, some do P3D, its whatever). Then install. If course, dont forget to reboot here and there.

Poppet

Postby Poppet » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:58 pm

Hello cookedinlh

You should always Uninstall Prepar3D first before any Operating System or Major Hardware change

First, What Version of Prepar3D is Your System using, Check here and Confirm in both location's What Version of Prepar3D

=========

Second, Regarding the Prepar3D folder Install structure, If your Installing Prepa3D v3 Outside of the Default Path of Program Files (x86) You Need to Create and Name a folder to Point the Installer to. Installing to an Open Drive Partition will cause problems.

=========

Regarding Add On's, You will need to Reinstall Orbx Global there is No way around it.

All Rex Products Install and Inject there Themes and Textures from Outside the Prepar3D folder, So don't worry about these, After you Reinstall Prepa3D v3 just Inject your Theme back in again

Photo Scenery, Go to your Original Install Location for Prepar3D C Drive, Or wherever you have Installed these Photo Seneries. Right Click and Copy any Photo Scenery folders (Add On's) and Paste hem some were safe for now. These Photo Scenery's can be put anywhere your computer, You can Manually add these back through your scenery.cfg

Even with the above steps you will still have to do some Reinstalling of Add On's

============

Uninstall Prepar3D v3, Insuring all Entries, Client, Content and Scenery have been removed from your Control Panel

Also, Remove (Delete) all 6 Prepar3D Folders\Directors, Click Here ---) Uninstalling Prepar3D v3

cookedinlh

Postby cookedinlh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks for all that advice . . The OS change was not planned . . .This whole thing came from a failed RESTORE after a FAILED WINDOWS Update. I have restored some things now but P3d is all messed up so I guess I will have to bite the bullet . . AGAIN . . . uninstall and just start over. . . from scratch and do a better job of backing up.

All your comments have been very helpful though . . . thanks to both
Cookedinlh

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”