P3D & DX11

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
Michael_B767_ATP

Post by Michael_B767_ATP »

Hi,

Is it possible or will there be an option to select DX9 or DX 11 when running P3D?. I ask because their may be many addons that may not support and or work with DX11. So having an option of selecting DX9 or DX11 would give the end user more options.

Thanks
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi Michael, moving to feature request. I doubt very much there will be an option for this as we need to move forward and this will require that we keep old and incompatible libraries around, which will ultimately keep the application back. I am not sure that this will affect many addons anyway, but will ensure that compatibility is maintained as much as possible.

John
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Add-ons shouldn't be directly tied to the rendering api (with the exception of DirectX Gauges). DirectX11 provides "down-level" support on older hardware, so certain features may be unavailable on certain hardware. We will try to provide support for a wide range of hardware, but we will likely draw the line at DirectX10 level hardware for performance sake.

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
Michael_B767_ATP

Post by Michael_B767_ATP »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, just one more question. If for instance DX11 is something that just does not allow me to use third party software that I deem to be an absolute necessity, will I be allowed to continue to use an older version of P3D and continue to utilize the monthly pay option or will I be forced to continually update P3D?.

Granted, I understand if support is no longer offered for an older version of P3D, but I just want to make sure I'll have the option of staying with an older version of P3D if need be.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

I don't think that will be a problem, but as we have not released any official licensing details, I can't give you a definite answer.

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect