Prepar3d V2 fails to start after exchanging graphics card

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
fabs79

Post by fabs79 »

Hi,

today I bought a new graphics card to improve my performance a little bit, so I exchanged my old NVidia GTX 660 Ti with a AMD Radeon R9 290X with 4 GB RAM. I installed the latest AMD drivers and uninstalled all the NVidia drivers. Now everytime I try to start P3D V2, I get the message:

"Prepar3d was unable to initialize the rendering system and will shut down. Please make sure this system has a video card that supports Direct X11..."

I already deleted the Prepar3d.cfg file and I installed all the latest drivers. So I don`t know what to do now. Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Fabian

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Perhaps you have an onboard chip such as intel hd graphics that got enabled when you removed the 660.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
fabs79

Post by fabs79 »

How could I find out about this? I don`t see any graphics device in the control panel other than the AMD Radeon. My Mainboard is an Asus P8277-M with an i5 3770K @4.5 GHz. I tried to look for an onboard device I could disable in the BIOS but there are dozens of sub-menu items I don´t know about.The Bios version entry reads: American Megatrends Inc. 1206, 07.06.2012

Any idea what I could do to solve this?

Best regards!

fabs79

Post by fabs79 »

OK, I found a partial solution - I noticed that I still had a DisplayLink driver installed that was used for a USB-Monitor, that seemed to interfere with my AMD Drivers. Now I can start Prepar3d V2 without error messages, but unfortunately I only get a black screen. I hear the engine sounds and I can bring up the ATC window, Flight analysis etc., but the main window stays black. I read somewhere that this could have to do with HDR lighting, so I turned it off in the Prepar3d.cfg, but it didn`t solve the problem. I also noticed, that the entries for Display.Device (used to be Nvidia something) and Mode=1920x1080 have disappeared from the Prepar3d.cfg, maybe this is causing the trouble. Is there any way to enter the Radeon as a Display Device manually into the cfg?

Cheers,

Fabian

ErikNL

Post by ErikNL »

Have you deleted the contents from the C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders folder? P3D can then build new shaders based on your new card.
fabs79

Post by fabs79 »

Thank you, that fixed it. Everythings back to normal now. Unfortunately there is no difference in performance. Maybe I`ll have to tweak the cfg a bit more.

Daimo

Post by Daimo »

Confirmed. Deleting displaylink drivers from "programs and settings" fixes the problem.

mickwilliams36

Post by mickwilliams36 »

Quote:
Quote from fabs79 on November 30, 2013, 14:08

Thank you, that fixed it. Everythings back to normal now. Unfortunately there is no difference in performance. Maybe I`ll have to tweak the cfg a bit more.

Hi,

Could I ask how many monitors you are running with your new graphics card? I have a GTX 660 Ti OC and am considering swapping for a 4GB 290x, but mainly because I have just gone to a 3 monitor setup and have seen quite a drop in FPS with my current card which is usually running at 99-100% GPU & memory load.

Many thanks,

Mick