Only getting 4 FPS , where as in FSX, im getting 30 with same hardware

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

Maybe i'm doing something wrong , but im only getting 3-4 fps in P3D , but when i load FSX , im getting 25-30 . I even moved all sliders down to minimum and still no gain. Im running a AMD X4 955 @ 3.7 GHZ with a gtx260 card and 4gb memory , Windows 7 -64 bit , with no addons . I dont know what could be bogging it down ? :?
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Single monitor or Multi-Monitor configuration?

I have experienced a massive drop in performance between FSX and P3D on the same PCs, especially when configured with Multi-Monitors. However P3D with it's Multi-Channel capability puts it into another league and I have networked 6 PCs together with 12 monitors all at good frame rates and some of those Slaves were not as powerful as your PC. I have recently purchased an i7-extreme based PC with twin GTX580s driving 4 x HD (1920x1080) and that is working fine (30+ fps). A colleague of mine has an i7-extreme with twin GTX 590s and that delivers 60 fps through 4xHD monitors even helicopter flying between Manhatten skyscrapers.

I know this doesn't help you get better fps on your current setup but you can carry on developing in the knowledge that, with the right hardware configuration, you should be able to deliver acceptable solutions.

Jim
Burkhard

Post by Burkhard »

It looks like you have no hardware acceleration enabled. Maybe P3D isn't the focus application? Definitively some setting on your system I would say.
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi Falcon,

Could be a number of factors at play and it looks like might be a configuration issue. Look at the hardware acceleration first as suggested. Make sure that bathymetry is turned off and also have a look at the processes to see what might be running in the background and if a specific CPU is being maxed out. It is unusual to see the churn like this. I did experience something similar with my laptop and found out that it was a specific CPU that was being hammered and after I set the affinity in the task manager to ignore that CPU, it improved. (My laptop is on its way out, so it is a hardware issue). If you need to do this, go to the task manager (ctrl-alt-del), right click on Prepar3D and 'Select Affinity' to uncheck that CPU.

John

Falcon

Post by Falcon »

Update : I uninstalled and then re-installed onto a seperate partition on the drive. Heres where things get weird , when i first started the program , everything was great , frames were in the 30's , everything was smooth , then exited program. When I restarted again, it wouldnt go above 4 FPS , and there was no sound. It seems to be hit or miss when i start the Sim , can't seem to figure out what is going on. Im running on a single monitor. Any suggestions ?