GREAT Multi Monitor Solution .. BUT...

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
aero star

Postby aero star » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:22 pm

You'll have to try working it out through SoftTH support. SoftTH only supports DirectX8/9, so it wouldn't be a viable long term solution for us. Also, NVidia, ATI and Matrox all have solutions that give you this capability via native driver support.

Thanks,

Beau

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:39 am

You'll have to try working it out through SoftTH support. SoftTH only supports DirectX8/9, so it wouldn't be a viable long term solution for us. Also, NVidia, ATI and Matrox all have solutions that give you this capability via native driver support.

Thanks,

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Have you considered MaxiVista?

Quote:

Multi Monitor Software

The Pro Edition of the Multi Monitor Software MaxiVista can even link up to four computers to create a giant desktop space of up to 10,240x1,600 pixels.

http://www.maxivista.com/multi-monitor-software.htm
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:35 am

Thanks for the tip. That looks like a powerful product. There may be diminishing marginal returns as the resolution and number of machines increase, as it would require a primary machine powerful enough to render everything and there would likely be prone to latency. (especially if large portions of the image are updating each frame.) The best bet for a large distributed widescreen render would be to use Prepar3D's multichannel capabilities.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

risipio

Postby risipio » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:36 am

where can i found info on Prepar3D's multichannel capabilities and configuration for P3d? sorry if this is a dumb question but im trying to configure a multimonitor sistem but im having performance issues and i need at least 5 monitors.

thank you!!!

aero star

Postby aero star » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:44 pm

It states that Maxivista is not compatible with Direct X or Open GL ?

With ' Soft TH ' you can run any number of monitors from one PC (obviously limited by CPU power and number of Monitor ports available.)

With nVidea's solution you can only have three monitors in full screen mode and must have 2 x similar Graphics cards in SLI mode. With AMD Eyefinity there are limitations as well (not checked all of them yet).

With Matrox TH2GO the resolution is limited (not able 1920 x 1200 monitors) and must run at 50hz .....

With Soft TH any resolution and any orientation and any number of monitors. I have run 4 dell 1920 x 1200 monitors with 2 Landscape in the middle ( one above the other) and 2 in portrait mode - one each side. With a frame rate in FSX of around 40fps in single monitor - the drop with 4 monitors was around 45 per cent to around 22 fps.... and the picture was smooth with no lag between monitors. Resolution was 1920 x 1200 per monitor equaling a rendered display rectangle of 4320 x 2400 which due to the deeper height of the middle 2 monitors was not all used.

With SoftTH there is a configuration file that can be had from the forums and all sorts of parameter changes can be made.

It does not require graphics cards in SLI mode or any additional hardware to run. It is a great alternative to nVidia , AMD , Matrox etc... except FSX mouse clickspots.

I have read on SoftTH forums that the author is working on a DX 10 / 11 capable version and that may be food for thought for your continued development of FSX.... ( I understand Lockheed Martin now own the rights to FSX ?)

It would of great interest and benefit to FSX users if this issue could be fixed and would encourage users to the platform who are not capable or willing to spend on additional expensive hardware as required by nVidea , AMD , Matrox etc.......

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Strange statement then about Direct-X, as I've been running MaxiVista for years for FS9, FSX and now Prepar3D. Granted I don't even try FSX's so-called DX10 Preview mode, but DX9 works perfectly!

Oh, I see that it's hardware acceleration for Direct-X and OpenGL that's not supported...

The neat thing about MaxiVista is that it allows me to repurpose my ancient 15" laptop running Win98! There's nothing wrong with the LCD screen, so I may as well use it for something! ;)
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Quote:

Quote from risipio on July 27, 2011, 11:36

where can i found info on Prepar3D's multichannel capabilities and configuration for P3d? sorry if this is a dumb question but im trying to configure a multimonitor sistem but im having performance issues and i need at least 5 monitors.

thank you!!!

Hi,

There is an article in the Prepar3D Learning Center on multi-channel set-up and configuration. (Not the SDK Learning Center, but the one that ships with the client product.)

John

PGOmega

Postby PGOmega » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:36 am

Not to diminish the fact that softth is quite a remarkable piece of software, but there are a number of problems with it. Fundamentally, the biggest performance constraint is that it needs to transfer the video frames via system memory, which is a major slow down. This also increases utilization of the PCI-E channels, which is a problem for games like FSX that over-utilize them. Other issues include

- Hit and miss support with various games. Some work fine, others seem to be fine and then crash (BFBC2), others just do weird stuff. Like the FSX click spots. I never did find a proper fix for that...but if you reorder your monitors, you can change which monitor works properly e.g. you could have one of the middle monitors be the 'clickable' one

- In FSX there were other problems as well, like being unable to reliably open settings pages while full screen, or being unable to exit fullscreen and then re-enter full screen

- You might have also noticed in FSX that if you view something with very high FPS e.g. inside the cockpit without being able to see outside, then there is noticable lag between the primary and secondary cards as you pan the view- like the secondary displays take a moment to 'catch up'. But this only happens under those high-FPS circumstances, if you were getting low FPS then it would be fine

- Also, I could never get CUDA support working, so colour depth was limited. This causes banding and other visual problems in certain situations e.g. at night

- Video compression occurs at the image level (after rendering) so this means that text is noticably degraded and blurred on the secondary monitors

- I could never get antialiasing working in FSX either using softth

It was fun for a while, but eventually I just gave up and bought a second GTX570 (I had been using a GTX570+8800GT before). Frame rates improved quite a bit, but the biggest difference was an increase in smoothness even at the same FPS- difficult to explain, but it made the multi-monitor experience significantly better

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”