Arduino/Netduino

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:06 am

Hi Guys,

We are going to do a small site redesign hopefully soon because we do realize that the blog posts and news items are getting lost in the UI on the home page. I posted a thought on Arduino/Netduino use with Prepar3D here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/2011/05/26/arduinonetduino/

I would be interested to know of anyones experience in this area. Trying to prod some discussion.

Regards,

John

beatle

Postby beatle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 am

Hey All,

[ None of the below is currently on my active tasks list, these are just some ideas to add to John's topic to kick off discussion, not promissing anything at this point :-> ]

I've got some ideas brewing in this area, I've got a .Net Micro Framework (.Net MF) device that I might actually find time to play with one of these days :->. The one I've got is a Fez Cobra (http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/136), which includes a scaled down version of Presentation Framework (although no XAML defintion support, have to do everything in code) so I can create virtual gauges without having to drive any real external hardware :->.

An addition on the SimConnect server side that would help support this type of development, would be to add a new SimConnect server type that supports connection over a serial port (mostly to support VCom over USB, although real serial ports would work too :-> ), another option would be a custom SimConnect over USB protocol handler with drivers, but that's a lot more work :->.

Another option for embedded systems using something like uCLinux or Wind River (are they still around?) - basically any 32-bit environment with a gcc tool chain and network sockets support - would be to provide a scaled down (ie only using langauge features supported by embedded gcc toolchains) version of the SimConnect client code that could be built for the target platform.

I also tried my existing Beatles Blog Silverlight Managed SimConnect client with the Windows Phone 7.1 SDK Tools Beta, and it works as-is with the new network sockets support (of course, you can only use this with the emulator at the moment). So there's another potential screen/device to extend the sim to :->

Tim

rubdos

Postby rubdos » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:46 pm

The youngster Ruben here, Rich referred me ;-)

I recently made a PIC16f887 based piece of hardware, which I showed atorque/Rich over teamviewer/webcam. It had just 3 LED's, which represented the landing gear state. Worked very good. I've to resolder the serial module (based on max202ecpe) though. I think the whole bunch costed me about, let's make a sum... 5-6 euros at max;

I'll let you know something, gonna resolder the serial module first ;-)

Oh, yeah, apologizes for my English. I'm Belgian ;-)

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks for your post Ruben. Would love to see pix of what you are up to when you have it resoldered!

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:33 am

Quote:

Quote from beatle on June 2, 2011, 11:19

I also tried my existing Beatles Blog Silverlight Managed SimConnect client with the Windows Phone 7.1 SDK Tools Beta, and it works as-is with the new network sockets support (of course, you can only use this with the emulator at the moment). So there's another potential screen/device to extend the sim to :->

Tim

Nice!

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”