Multi-Channel Configuration

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
beatle

Postby beatle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:52 am

Here are the command lines:

On the master machine:

prepar3d -net:IGMaster.cfg

On the slave machines:

prepar3d -net:IGSlave0.cfg

(use the appropriately named file for each slave machine)

Start the IGMaster machine first, and once it launches, you should be able to tell the SimIG file was parsed correctly because the view will look like its zoomed way out, and if you right click on the 3d window, under the IG View Control menu, there should be a View Origin 1 menu item - if that menu item isn't there, then there was a problem parsing the SimIG.XML file.

Once you've got the IGMaster running, try launching one of the slave machines (the view is setup as a 2 x 2 grid, with IGSlave0=upper left corner, IGSlave1=upper right corner, IGSlave2=lower left corner, IGSlave3=lower right corner).

I'll try some of the more complicated options in the SimIG.XML file and report back.

Tim

beatle

Postby beatle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Here's another simple sample SimIG.XML file, it defines two specific views, assigned to specific named slave machines:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1,0" id="SimIG">

<Filename>SimIG.XML</Filename>

<!-- Two 24" 16x10 aspect screens side by side, each
with 2.5 cm bezels, that are 1 meter in front of
the user's eye. -->

<SimIG.View>
<ViewOriginID>1</ViewOriginID>
<SlaveName>IGSlave1</SlaveName>
<ViewName>Left View</ViewName>
<ScreenSize>0.5169,0.3231</ScreenSize>
<ScreenCenterFromEye>-0.28345,0,1</ScreenCenterFromEye>
<Orientation>0,0,0</Orientation>
</SimIG.View>

<SimIG.View>
<SlaveName>IGSlave2</SlaveName>
<ViewName>Right View</ViewName>
<ScreenCenterFromEye>0.28345,0,1</ScreenCenterFromEye>
</SimIG.View>

</SimBase.Document>

If you were trying to use this style of SimIG file and didn't have the ViewName item in your definition, then you might have been hitting a bug I just found that was accidently trashing the assigned slave name if the view name wasn't defined (cut and paste error, it was supposed to be generating a view name, not a slave name).

Tim

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:06 am

Tim,

fantastic.....just about to disappear on 2 weeks vacation but had to try out your SimIG and network configuration files before I left...Brilliant I am now sharing the same aircraft across the network. Really looking forward to returning from vacation and getting stuck into networked views. Many thanks for de-bugging this vital piece of functionality.

regards

Jim

beatle

Postby beatle » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Hey Guys,

A couple of you had asked about doing Multi-Channel and Multi-Monitor at the same time. The current release doesn't support this, but I've just added support for this which should be in the next release. With the next release, you'll be able to have a SimIG.XML file like the following, which defines two views on the same slave machine:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1,0" id="SimIG">

<Filename>SimIG.XML</Filename>

<!-- Two 24" 16x10 aspect screens side by side, each
with 2.5 cm bezels, that are 1 meter in front of
the user's eye. -->

<SimIG.View>
<ScreenAdapterNum>0</ScreenAdapterNum>
<ViewName>Left View</ViewName>
<ScreenCenterFromEye>-0.28345,0,1</ScreenCenterFromEye>
</SimIG.View>

<SimIG.View>
<ScreenAdapterNum>1</ScreenAdapterNum>
<ViewName>Right View</ViewName>
<ScreenCenterFromEye>0.28345,0,1</ScreenCenterFromEye>
</SimIG.View>

</SimBase.Document>

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Quote:

Quote from beatle on February 26, 2011, 14:40

Hey Guys,

A couple of you had asked about doing Multi-Channel and Multi-Monitor at the same time. The current release doesn't support this, but I've just added support for this which should be in the next release. With the next release, you'll be able to have a SimIG.XML file like the following, which defines two views on the same slave machine:

Tim,

even better news as this will considerably cut down the number of PCs required.

Thanks for your effort, it's really appreciated.

Jim

WBard

Postby WBard » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Great Job Tim! Thank you!

nicks

Postby nicks » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 am

Great work Tim!

I haven't had a chance to do extensive tests but it looks like it's working.

Naturally I'm very interested in the new version which has support for multiple views per PC.

Do you have an estimate as to when it will be available to us?

I'd be willing to test the pre-release for you.

nicks

Postby nicks » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 pm

It's been a while since I've had a chance to continue my experimentation with the visuals. I've tried some of the setups shown on this forum by simply cutting and pasting and it does not give me any positive results. It's as if nothing is being sent from the server. The most that happens is that the slaves go into multi-player mode.

Do you suggest that I wait for v1.1 before I continue? Hopefully there'll be more documentation which I can study.

beatle

Postby beatle » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Nick,

V1.1 should be available for download now. Also, there appears to be an issue with cutting and pasting text from the forum software into a text editor, the double quote characters are typographic open and close double qoutes instead of the standard ANSI double quote, go into the SimIG.XML file with a text editor (notepad is fine, visual studio is better :-> ) and retype all of the double quote characters.

Tim

cliff

Postby cliff » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 am

Hi All,

Will this type of set-up in the SimIG.XML work for having just a main PC with multiple views and not sharing the view over the network? or should I be editing the Prepar3d.cfg file?

Thanks

Cliff.

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:44 am

Clif,

I don't know whether you can assign a Slave view to the Master PC, all the documentation suggests that the Master can only have one view...it's worth a try though. I'll do some testing!!

JIm

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:02 am

Quote:

Quote from jimcooper1 on March 28, 2012, 05:44

Clif,

I don't know whether you can assign a Slave view to the Master PC, all the documentation suggests that the Master can only have one view...it's worth a try though. I'll do some testing!!

JIm

Have done some tinkering and i can't get the Master to see itself as a Slave,

Cliff .

you'll probbably just have to set up your external views manually. If you're using NVidia then 'Surround' may also be an option.

Jim

Kennair

Postby Kennair » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 am

I also want to setup a mult-channel configuration however in my case I don't want to set up a synced out of the window multiview. I'm currently running P3D on one PC with 3 projectors via a TH2GO and Sol7 with a 210 degree FOV and more than happy with it. Now I want to set up a separate PC showing the outside of the aircraft and another showing a view from the windows inside the cabin, both to go in separate rooms away of the main sim (if you follow me). I have this setup currently using FSX and Wideview and its a doddle, just load up your view config in FSX clients and configure wideview between server and clients and the aircraft follows nicely. As far as I can see from the P3D Learning center and other instructions in this forum the main focus on multichannel is to get synchronised out of the window views for a wide FOV.

So is there a way to utilize the P3D multichannel config to achieve my aim? Or is there a suitable third party option that will work with P3D? I've already tried Wideview as it is designed to work with ESP as well as FSX but it won't install as it can't see a valid ESP.exe (obviously). This is the only function stopping me from utilizing P3D as the main platform in our sim.

Ken.

www.flightcity.com.au

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:08 am

I know I've seen similar configurations before, though I'm not sure the specifics of how they were configured. We used to have a demo set up as follows:

- Cockpit view split between two projectors accross two multi-channel machines projected onto a curved screen using omnimap for distortion correction

- Once machine running several touch panels with 2d cockpits and a projector with an external cockpit view

I think panels and external views must be created on the master, so you might try putting your extra views on the master.

Beau

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:49 am

Quote:

Quote from Kennair on March 29, 2012, 08:46

I also want to setup a mult-channel configuration however in my case I don't want to set up a synced out of the window multiview.

Sounds like a Multi-Player session would be easier to configure, compared with a Multi-Channel (SimIG) session, to achieve the combination of views you require. If you share the aircraft across the session then each PC can 'choose' the view it requires rather than trying to define the views in the SimIG.xml file. However it is perfectly possible to use SimIG.xml to define your views as they do not have to be a single FOV span, you can set up non-contiguous views anywhere in the 360 degree arc. Your TH2Go view can then be defined as single 210 span rather than 3 separate views.

Jim

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”