Crash when undocked window is move to another display cards monitor

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
tommyrsk

Crash when undocked window is move to another display cards monitor

Post by tommyrsk »

Dear,

I do running the latest Prepar3D v5.1 on a Windows 10 computer with 2pcs NVIDIA Geforce 1080ti Graphic cards (founders edition) with totally of 5 monitors (using NVIDIA driver version 461.92). There is no SLI-bridge installed. The 5 monitors is splittet as 3 on one 1080ti and 2 on the other 1080ti. But now with the version 5.1 the software is crashing after loading screen is finished.

On earlier versions of Prepar3D I had no issue to run approx 200 degree view with 5 screen with ViewGroup (and ViewFrustum).
(I have removed all addons, and there is no overclocking or accelerators)

But on version v5.1 I'm getting crash when it starts to put the views on the serveral monitors after loading the scenary (load progress bar) (first a freeze on the image that is trying to draw the view partially, then after x amount of seconds return back to desktop). There is no error message showing. BUT the from the Event View in the system it says: "Faulting module name: D3D12Core.dll" with Exception code: 0xc0000005
I have also tried with NVIDIA version 457.09, but exactly the same issue.

I have then also tried to remove the %Appdata%\Lockheed Martin folder. The software is then starting correctly on one monitor.
If I add a new view and undocking this and moves this to a monitor that is on the same graphic card as the "main monitor", then everything is OK. But as soon I'm moving it to another monitor that is on the other graphic card then the issue starts as described above. I have also tried to launch the Prepar3d on the opposite graphic card, and the same behavour.

I am now very unsure how to get this solved, I have spent several hours now to search internet, forums (here and other places) but are now out of ideas how to get this solved. Would realy like to get the simulator up and running again to continue the practising of flying.

All display driver is being uninstalling with DDU.

I hope for some good advice now.
Best regards,
Tommy Roger Skålvik
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: Crash when undocked window is move to another display cards monitor

Post by Beau Hollis »

Sorry you are experiencing this issue. We'll see if we can reproduce this in our labs. You might also try disabling Enhanced Atmospherics, dynamic reflections, and HDR. Also try cockpit view or instrument panel view to see if those also crash. If we can isolate the crash to a specific setting or view type, that might help us narrow down the issue.

If you are using the SinglePass view group setting, please disable that as well. That definitely will not work with multiple GPUs and has some special requirements such as all views being the same resolution.

Thanls
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
tommyrsk

Post by tommyrsk »

Hi again,

On your request:

1)
I have now Disabled the "Enhanced Atmospherics", "HDR" and "Dynamic Ligthing" (couldn't find reflection). But the problem is then the same. I also tried to set everything to minimum/lowest settings, but the same problem.

2)
When I create a new view I go to the menu "Views -> New View -> Cockpit -> Cockpit". Then I right click in the new view and select "Undock Vindow".
I have tried several type of views.
I do find something regarding the view: If I'm selecting the view "Virtual Cockpit Only" then I can drag this window into all of the different monitors without any crash. But if the view contain anything with the "external envirnoment" the problem come when the window "leave the origin graphic card".

3)
Then I now find something that could help to narrow down the issue a bit (maybe?) (a kind of workarround for the moment)
a)
- I deleted the config to get a clean config: Prepar3D.cfg
- Then starting the Prepar3D and spawning on default location
- Then "Anti-maximize" the Prepar3D into a smaller window.
- Then drag the window into a monitor on the other graphic card, it just flash black a short second and redraw the window.
- Then I can drag the window back on the origin monitor on the first graphic card.
- Maximize the window
b)
- Then creating a new view as described in point 2.
Then I can drag this window on all monitors regardles what display card it is connected. And now it is not crashing.

When I do this then I can also activate the ViewGroup and all my monitors is then beeing displayed normally.
BUT, when restarting the software and the ViewGroup is already activated, then the software crash. But if I go into the Prepar3D.cfg file and changing the parameter "ViewGroup_Number" to -1 then I can do this point 3a over again, and then activate the viewgroup.
If I remember to "deactivate" the ViewGroup before quiting the software, then I dont need to change the config file.

For information 1: all my monitors is using the same resolution, and all the monitors is also the same type and model.
For information 2: I'm using the default aircraft and the default location on all tests.

I hope this could help to find out more about what happend.
If you need to have anything else to be tested, then let me know and I will try to help as much as possible.
Best regards,
Tommy Roger Skålvik
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Thanks so much for the extensive testing and detailed writeup. This will really help us track the issue down. I'm glad that in the process you were able to find a workaround to get back up and running.
Beau Hollis
tommyrsk

Post by tommyrsk »

Dear,

I wonder if there is any progress?
We are now heading into June, and I wonder if there is any progress to get this solved?

I really would like to have the simulator to act normal..

I have also now tried with the latest NVIDIA-driver, and the problem is still there.
Best regards,
Tommy Roger Skålvik
rodders1947

Post by rodders1947 »

I had the same problem using TWO video cards. I have 3 screens for display and 1 for MIP. removed all the screens to the one Video card and solved the problem. I removed the second video card and performance of P3D is better and more stable. IF I need another video outlet I use the onboard video and don't have the same problem
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

We found and fixed an issue that caused crashes when moving 3D views back and forth between GPUs. It will be in the hot fix. In our test, this was only a repeatable crash when doing a scenario reset before moving the view, but the fix should make GPU transitions much more stable and prevent a visual issue where objects displayed the wrong texture for a few frames just after the window was moved.

We also fixed a number of stability issues that crashed AMD drivers, but may impact NVIDIA users. Finally we updated our VRAM management to adjust for some issues in how Intel graphics report their memory budget. While testing the hot fix, I was able to create a view group using 3 displays that spanned 2 GTX 2080s and Intel UHD Graphics 630.
Beau Hollis