New (Nov 19) MacBookPro 16"

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
colokent

New (Nov 19) MacBookPro 16"

Postby colokent » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 pm

Okay...I know this question has been asked before, but I'm armed with a few different twists on it. In discussing Intel CPU performance last night with a representative from a well-known builder of KILLER systems, we were discussing the relationship between clock speed, turbo boost and number of cores.

It appears to me after the conversation I had last night, the "Recommended Specs" listed on this site actually reflect the "maximum performance components that are available on the market today", rather than a more common set of requirements. The "minimum" processor speed listed is 3.0 Ghz, and the "recommended" speed is 3.7 Ghz. That said, on the new Intel® 10th Generation processors, we are seeing base frequencies that rarely exceed 2.6 Ghz. Processors with base frequencies of 3.7 Ghz and 8 cores are literally on the cutting edge of processors. It appears that in recent years, the number of cores have increased, while the base clock speeds have decreased. This makes me believe that the "Recommended Specs" from a processor standpoint do not reflect current technical reality.

I've been running P3D V4.5 on an MSI laptop with a Processor speed of 2.9 Ghz and 4 cores for the past few years. P3D routinely gets 60-70 FPS on this rig. That said, it makes sense that a 2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz (the highest possible spec on the 2019 16" MBP) should run P3D at comparable levels.

What is the general consensus regarding base processor speed and number of cores and it's impact on P3D? The bottom line is this: I'd LOVE to be able to run P3D V5 at medium settings on the 16" MBP 2.4 Ghz processor, 32 GB of RAM, and the video card option with 8GB of VRAM without overheating the machine.

Similarly, does anyone know if P3D would have problem running on an AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with 8GB of HBM2 memory for video card?

I welcome any thoughts.

Thanks,

Kent

JorgenSA

Re: New (Nov 19) MacBookPro 16"

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 pm

Base processor speed is what matters above all, number of cores and hyperthreading not so much.

It is the raw processor power, as measured in GHz, that provides the bang for the buck.

And, because of the inherent cooling and electrical limits, a laptop is inherently unsuited for high-performance flight simulation.

A look inside a desktop tower at the cooling arrangements for the CPU plus the fans on the graphics card should give you the necessary clues.

That is my completely biased, opinionated opinion. ;-)

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

colokent

Re: New (Nov 19) MacBookPro 16"

Postby colokent » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks Jorgen. I'm not surprised at your response. It is absolutely true that laptops do not have the capability to run P3D with "all sliders to the right". I would say that my big (10 lb.) MSI laptop probably has the sliders at an average of 70-80%, and it does a really good job-- but lugging around 10 pounds is a pain....so I am looking for a smaller lighter alternatives...if it is technically possible. Understand that I believe the best I can likely hope for on the MBP might be most sliders at 50% (with minimum or no shadowing).

Thanks for your input.

Kent

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”