Mapping F-35 HOTAS

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
mcalijm

Mapping F-35 HOTAS

Postby mcalijm » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Hi all,
New to the Forum. Apologize if this has been covered and I missed it in my search.
I'm looking to map the F-35 HOTAS. DMS, WMS, CMS, TMS, etc. I've been through the Key Assignment and Axis Assignment. I see a host of options to map to, but not the F-35 cockpit specifics. Are these options available? Am I in the right place, or is this something you must create in SimDirector? Additionally, I've calibrated my HOTAS through MS Game Controller. It shows throttle correctly, however when I map the throttle in P3D is comes up as "rudder". It works fine, flies fine, but label is incorrect.
Thanks!
r/ Jason

Martyson

Re: Mapping F-35 HOTAS

Postby Martyson » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:30 pm

Jason,

Which P3d product (purchased name) / version are you using?

What flight sim hardware do you have?

Can you give several some examples (assignments/functions) of what you want to map with DMS, WMS, CMS, TMS, etc.?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

mcalijm

Postby mcalijm » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Hi Vaughan,
You bet. I just downloaded Prepar3D_v5_Professional_Plus_5.0.24.34874. I believe it's the most current version.
I'm using a set of Wraith Systems F-35 XGrips. Ideally, I'm trying to map to the actual functionality from the jet. Displays Management to jump across MFDs. Weapons Management to select/switch between AA, AG, guns....etc. Targeting designation from the TMS on the TSDs. I would like to map the cursor as well. I just may be missing these from the assignments page.
Thanks!
r/ Jason

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi Vaughan,
You bet. I just downloaded Prepar3D_v5_Professional_Plus_5.0.24.34874. I believe it's the most current version.
I'm using a set of Wraith Systems F-35 XGrips. Ideally, I'm trying to map to the actual functionality from the jet. Displays Management to jump across MFDs. Weapons Management to select/switch between AA, AG, guns....etc. Targeting designation from the TMS on the TSDs. I would like to map the cursor as well. I just may be missing these from the assignments page.
Thanks!
r/ Jason
Jason,

"Wraith Systems F-35 XGrips"
Have you asked their support?
What did they use to test their product?

I would suggest you start here and have a read:

Professional Plus Only
Controls and the SDK:

List of controls / P3D Top Menu :Options, Keys, then fliter drop down, Weapons
The SDK link is here:
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningC ... ction.html

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/simu ... orial.html
Step 6: Using the Weapons

In Prepar3D, there are three Controls that should be set in the Options->Settings menu. In the Controls section of the settings, select Buttons and Keys. Then, click on the Event Category drop down and select Weapons. Set the following three items:

Arm Weapon System (on/off)
Select the next weapon
Fire Weapon(s) (Key Down)

After programming the keys, try to launch the weapon. To do this, press the keys in the following order: Arm, Select, Fire. Note the feedback in the bottom right corner after you press each key.

There are other areas in these sections that may also be of interest e.g., weapons attachment etc.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Joseph Walker
Lockheed Martin

Postby Joseph Walker » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Hello Jason,

Thank you for bringing up the labeling error to our attention, we will look further into this.

In regards to the custom MFD button mappings Prepar3D has predetermined controls that can be mapped. The "TargetingPod Sample" shows an example of how to use the PDK PanelSystem to register for key events. The Pdk PanelSystem can also be used to SetNameVariable values which would control an XML Gauge's LVar. You may be able to manipulate the F-35 MFD's by setting the correct LVars.

Hope this helps,
Joseph Walker
Joseph Walker
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

mcalijm

Postby mcalijm » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:23 pm

Thanks for the follow up Vaughan.
Got it. I just need to get more familiar with everything.
Unfortunately… the guy to call about the Wraith HOTAS is me. :/
I originally used the predecessor to Prepar3D. It was called the PTA (Pilot Training Aid).

Joseph, copy all. Thanks. Let me know if there is anything you guys need from me on my end.
Thanks.
r/ Jason

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”