BSOD In VR

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Kevinmf

BSOD In VR

Postby Kevinmf » Thu May 28, 2020 3:54 pm

I have a new powerful computer system (I9-9700 Processor, Z390 motherboard, 32 Gb Ram, TI 2080 Video Card, 1 Tb SSD Drive, ect) built specifically for P3D. I run P3dV4.5 only on this computer, no other simulators or games are installed, just P3DV4.5 exclusively (until yesterday). I have purchased and installed several addon airport and city sceneries plus several Orbx airports and sceneries. I use a new Oculus Rift S VR headset and FlyInside for P3D4 to fly. The problem is when using my VR headset my computer crashes to the Blue Screen Of Death after about 5 minutes of flying. It doesn't matter if I use FlyInside or not the problem still occurs. It happens 9 out of 10 times and is very frustrating but doesn't happen when I fly without VR. Yesterday I downloaded and installed DCS World because it is also VR ready just to see if it will crash too. It runs flawlessly for hours so it does not seem to be my computer hardware causing the problem. Could I not have something set up properly in P3DV4.5 causing the issue? I do use a Triple Head To Go with 3 x 24" monitors for flying without VR. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a fix for this?

Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: BSOD In VR

Postby Rob McCarthy » Fri May 29, 2020 7:30 pm

Hello,

Do you see this issue if you remove the triple head to go hardware?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead

Kevinmf

Postby Kevinmf » Sat May 30, 2020 2:20 am

I don't know? I will try it and see. Thank you for responding.

Kevinmf

Postby Kevinmf » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:40 pm

OK, so I finally found some time to mess with this problem. To update, the computer does a blue screen of death even without using VR as long as the Oculus Rift S is plugged in. The Simulator works perfectly fine if I unplug the VR headset. I thought it might be the resolution setup on the 3 monitors so I lowered the resolution to a single screen and tried it. It still crashes to a blue screen and restarts the computer. It does give an Windows error code of "CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT". I lowered the resolution in P3DV4.5 but it still crashes. I bypassed the Triple Head 2 Go unit by connecting the center monitor directly into the video card and tried it again. It still crashes to blue screen. I am investigating that error code right now but it seems to refer to a 3rd party driver of some sort. I don't know if anything will be resolved following Microsofts instructions. I don't know why the computer doesn't crash when I play DCS World in VR? Anybody have any ideas?

Kevinmf

Postby Kevinmf » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:47 pm

I have completely uninstalled all P3DV4 addons as well as P3DV4 as well. I downloaded the latest version of P3DV4.15 with the hotfix hoping this would fix it. I installed it without any addons just to see. It still crashes after about 6 minutes off flying in as long as my VR headset is plugged into the computer. I found an event log but I don't know what it means. Maybe someone could look at it and point me in the right direction? The event viewer error report is below.

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
Date: 5/3/2020 3:53:26 PM
Event ID: 2
Task Category: Session
Level: Error
Keywords: Session
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: KEVIN
Description:
Session "OculusVadApoEventTrace" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing" Guid="{b675ec37-bdb6-4648-bc92-f3fdc74d3ca2}" />
<EventID>2</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>2</Task>
<Opcode>12</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000010</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-05-03T22:53:26.798788400Z" />
<EventRecordID>75709</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="2896" ThreadID="9712" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin</Channel>
<Computer>KEVIN</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="SessionName">OculusVadApoEventTrace</Data>
<Data Name="FileName">
</Data>
<Data Name="ErrorCode">3221225525</Data>
<Data Name="LoggingMode">2</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Kevinmf

Postby Kevinmf » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:49 pm

I think I got it figured out. I couldn't find any information about this situation anywhere other than update all my software and drivers. I updated Windows and all other device drivers. That helped. No more Blue Screen Of Death. Now P3D just locks up and I have to reset my computer. I do flight simming in an enclosed full size 737NG simulator. It is very dark in there. I just happened to turn on the map reading light to find something and forgot to turn the light off. No more lock ups or BSOD!! So far, so good. So maybe the Oculus Rift S on board sensors couldn't track properly and causing all the problems.

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”