Fps - wow

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Ridgeandgable

Fps - wow

Post by Ridgeandgable »

Hi Guys

As some of you may know I posted here a while ago complaining I was getting about 10 - 20 fps at Edinburgh with default settings, here my spec

Fx-8350
2x RX580
32gb 2600mhz ram
1tb HDD at 7200rpm

I was told the memory is to slow, the CPU is too old and the video card is ok and that's the cause of the low fps.

I've tried all tweaks I could find and nothing improved. I have a full cockpit in the office, 1 pc running 2x 27" screens combined as 1 display at 3896x2060 or something like and 3* 17" screens for panel displays, 1x 10" touch for CDU and 1 8" screen for voxatc

A few days ago I decided I've had enough of the poor fps making it unflyable with fps and stutters and ordered an i9, some of you may have replied to my post for specs.

Tonight I decided I'm gonna try and fly again before the new pc arrives. I watched a guide on YouTube for setting up view groups, so thought I'd play about on the old pc first. I disabled the eyfiniy in and and made the main display separate again. I loaded p3d at Edinburgh, again poor fps at 12, stuttering again. I setup my view group and it improves upto about 25fps on the ground. I though "well this might actually be flyable for a few mins" I undocked my windows, CDU, pfd etc in the pmdg and the fps dropped slightly down to around 21. I accidentally hit full screen....

OMGz why have I just wasted £1600 on a new pc. Frame rates jump from 21 on the ground to 37fps, so I start flying through a thunderstorm, heavy rain at me and the fps just keeps going up and up. So I decide to pretty much max out most settings, turn the shadows, traffic, lighting effects, autogen scenery, all on high / ultra, and very dense etc you know the drill. I start a new flight, not much difference in fps, I get to around 6000 alt, and I'm seeing frames in excess of 60+, I climb again to around 12,000, frame rates also climb to 87. I press alt + enter agai. To go back to window, bah, back to 15 / 20 frames!!!!!!!

With what I've seen today, I can't wait to see how the i9 performs with fast memory, SSD and better graphics.

I haven't applied any tweaks to the cfg file yet, as I'm worried it will improve again and then the wife will go mental that I've spent 1600 for no reason. But wow, I just couldn't believe it.

So for anyone still reading and you run in windowed mode and struggle on frames or stutters, try running in full screen then slowly increase your settings.

Just wow 😀
JorgenSA

Re: Fps - wow

Post by JorgenSA »

Recommended course of action:

1. The most important one: do NOT tell you wife. and

2. Network your 2 PCs, so you can fly multiplayer....

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

Ridgeandgable wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:19 am I watched a guide on YouTube for setting up view groups, so thought I'd play about on the old pc first.
Might be of interested to some here to know about what video you are talking about, no?
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
Ridgeandgable

Post by Ridgeandgable »

Sorry, it was 2am when I wrote this in my bed and didn't have the link. The video I used to help setup view group was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCJEPHeB3k

Far better than using eyfinity, however, I will try again today using eyfinity and the full screen mode to see if I get the same results.

Also, my add-ons are

P3D v4.2
PMDG NGX
Active Sky
Edinburgh Extreme
Orbx Base
Orbx Europe
Orbx HD Trees
Orbx Scotland
Orbx Buildings