Using fps limiter bad stutters

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
freddy_

Re: Using fps limiter bad stutters

Post by freddy_ »

JorgenSA wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:00 am Freddy,
If there ever was a candidate for the hotfix, you're it. That fix was, if I remember correctly, it was designed explicitly to get rid of stutters....

Interesting that you say that. After my previous FSX PC died, I bought a new PC and purchased P3D (v4.5). So this is basically a completely new installation of P3Dv4.5, plus add-ons. (Note that I re-purchased applicable add-ons where required to ensure they were P3Dv4 compatible -- it can be an expensive hobby).

As it stands right now, I am extremely happy with the performance I am getting on this newly installed P3Dv4.5 ... with no Hotfix. The Hotfix came out literally one week or so after I had completed my full reinstallation of the software and all the add-ons. But, with the performance I was getting, and upon reading that some people were having a few issues with the Hotfix and compatibilities with various add-ons, I figured I'd leave this new installation of the software alone (for now) due to the smoothness and the excellent, high frame rates I am experiencing ... albeit with the FPS slider set at "Unlimited".

For me, right now, at Unlimiited frame rates, P3Dv4.5, with no Hotfix, is the best (visually) and smoothest sim I have ever had on any PC I've ever owned. And the frame rates I'm getting are exceptional (80+ nearly all the time, with ORBX scenery and Active Sky -- dropping a little if I use, say, PMDG aircraft, and a bit more with the FSLabs A320). But, frames aside, it's all about smoothness ... and I am getting that in spades. I only see stutters if I set a limited frame rate. If I don't do that, she's exceptionally smooth, and the frames are great. So I leave it set to Unlimited. Set up this way, she appears, to me, to be "not broke". And, "if it aint broke, then don't stuff with it".

That said, I do plan to put the Hotfix on, eventually. I may very well see increased performance and benefit from setting a limited frame rate. All fair enough. But right now, all I want to do is fly. After all, it took me some 2-and-a-half months to get this new PC, purchase and install P3Dv4.5, research compatibility of add-ons, (re)buy and install those as required, configure cameras, and do everything else that needed to be done. It wasn't a small task. So, for now, I just want to have a bit of fun (flying). The Hotfix will come. I'm just not sure yet when I might go for it.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Sounds like you're in good shape, and I definitely agree with "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

And, for me at least, applying the hotfix was a piece of cake.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
freddy_

Post by freddy_ »

A follow up ...

Well, I finally decided to "bite the bullet" and have now applied the 4.5 Hotfix (client), including updating my add-ons for appropriate compatibility. There were a few initial niggles and some error messages as I systematically updated my add-ons ... but the error messages gave me the clues I needed to resolve each situation as it occurred. All up, it was a pretty painless exercise (just as you said, Jorgen).

The result for me appears to be "no change". On my system, P3Dv4.5 with Hotfix, runs exactly the same for me as P3Dv4.5 before Hotfix. My frames have neither increased nor decreased. And when setting a FPS limit I still see the stutters. But, don't get me wrong, I am very happy with this result. Before applying the Hotfix I was worried that I might "break" what was, in my opinion, an already working system. But, that did not happen. Provided I fly with my frames set to Unlimited, I continue to get a wonderful, smooth, and visually appealing experience -- exactly as I did before applying the Hotfix.

So the real end result, in my case at least, is that I continue to fly and enjoy the sim as if nothing has changed.