Computer Upgrade

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
dookster49

Computer Upgrade

Post by dookster49 »

Planning to upgrade to a new, faster pc to run my sim. Please take a look at this configuration. Is it adequate to effectively run the sim?
Thanks, Larry

Dell i5680-7813BLU-PUS Inspiron Gaming PC Desktop 5680, Intel Core i7-8700, 16GB DDR4 Memory, 128GB SSD+2TB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Recon Blue, Windows 10 64-bit
JorgenSA

Re: Computer Upgrade

Post by JorgenSA »

Is it an 8700K-processor, and how fast is the DDR4 RAM?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Also, a 128 GB SSD is an extremely small drive. Once you put the OS on there it will be half full.
Dan Downs
KCRP
dookster49

Post by dookster49 »

Thanks for the feedback. What type of computer/hardware do you use to run your sim?
Larry
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Larry,

This computer you're contemplating is Dell-branded, so I assume that this is a system you get off-the-shelf at a store.

I had such a system some years ago, and that was not a bad system - until you wanted to modify it. All parts were made and put together exactly to measurement, all cables were as long as they had to be and not half an inch longer, and the power supply was a non-standard form factor and only just powerful enough to power the system as it was ex-factory.

So when I wanted to put in a better graphics card, I had to get a new power supply and some new cables. The new power supply was a standard form factor and smaller than the one that Dell supplied, so I had a gap on the rear of the computer of little over an inch that I had to cover (duct tape is SO useful).

Now, this is only my experience, and it is some years old. But if I were you I would see if some system integrator or mail-order company in your country could put a system together to my specs, and then compare the costs. Such a system would be built using standard parts, but it might be more expensive in acquisition. However, if you later wanted to modify or expand the system, that initial outlay of more cash would then pay for itself.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Agree, I had several Dells but the last one was over ten years ago. I build my own, but JorgenSA has good solid advice.

You asked, but my system is probably more than you'd be willing to pay others to build although it was quite cheap when home-built: 8700K H115 liquid cooler Corsair 32GB 3600MHz memory on a ASRock mobo, c: drive is Intel 850GB M.2 NVMe drive and have a d: drive which is an inexpensive 2TB SSD. Video is by 2x 1080Ti in SLI on a 4K TV.

My c: drive has the OS and P3D on it and a few of the addons that use programs or programdata areas but all of the other addons are on the d: drive so I have plenty of room for growth which is important. Don't build a system that is full when you build it.
Dan Downs
KCRP
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Yep, the system should be built with room to expand. I couldn't even put another hard drive in the Dell I had back then.

But, if Larry is in Europe, he can try to look at alternate.de - they have good parts and are very reasonable in putting the system together for you. In the U.S., Alienware may be worth a look, and there are many others.

Jorgen

dookster49

Post by dookster49 »

Thanks for the feedback. I’m in the U.S.
Larry