What is the best choice of Video driver

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
FSC190

What is the best choice of Video driver

Post by FSC190 »

Hi,
I wonder what kind of nvidia driver I have to choose.
All NVIDIA drivers provide full features and application support for top games and creative applications.

If you are a gamer who prioritizes day of launch support for the latest games, patches, and DLCs, choose Game Ready Drivers.

If you are a content creator who prioritizes stability and quality for creative workflows including video editing, animation, photography, graphic design, and livestreaming, choose Studio Drivers.
What do you think is the best one.
With kind regards

Roland
freequest

Re: What is the best choice of Video driver

Post by freequest »

Your GPU is highly essential not sure on Manufacturer but let me tell you a story.

I had an Nvidia GTX 970 card worked great on pretty much everything with P3D though even on low settings it was a stuttery mess it was not an enjoyable experience no matter what I did didn't seem to fix the problem.

So I upgraded to a 1070 card mostly because it has 8GB of ram and one of the applications I have needs that extra ram. So on an off chance I reinstalled P3D 4.5 put in Global and AS and was shocked the thing was a smooth as butter, so I said to myself hmmm well lets stress the crap out of this I loaded in all my FTX stuff and my A2A aircraft and still smooth even in dense cloud with ASCA and AS.

So yeah GPU grunt makes a massive difference in P3D a difference I just did nor understand P3D FPS doesn't matter to me smoothness does but it's about 20-60FPS, and that's fine I didn't muck around with density settings on Autogen P3D appears to load more or less depending on what the load is.

Anyway that my story hopefully it helps you a bit. Also doesn't answer your question sorry ):
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

To put it shortly, unless you are a professional graphics creator, the normal driver will suffice nicely.

I use nVidia Experience to update mine as new drivers come out, about twice a month. I know that some people experience issues with this, but I haven't seen issues myself.

To get a smoother experience in the simulator, you might try to experiment with limiting your frame rate to 25 or 30 in Prepar3D.cfg.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
downscc

Post by downscc »

I don't jump on every update from NVidia, most of those are targeted for specific shoot games that I don't need; however, I will update about twice a year just to keep current. I like to see if there are problem reports on a new version first.

I am running with a SLI 1080Ti setup and get good results with frame rate lock at 24 fps, I also use high resolution terrain textures with the terrain texture exp = 10 tweak to get the most out of it and it looks great. The only glitch is of course the darn long frames we still get when P3D loads scenery objects, so I keep my scenery object distance setting about mid range.
Dan Downs
KCRP