graphic card for VR P3D ?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Papa_Oscar

graphic card for VR P3D ?

Post by Papa_Oscar »

Hello;

I wanted to know which graphics card was the most recommended to do ONLY VR on P3D?
I explain myself, I am an instructor and I would like to set up a VR simulator via P3D and only do VR so you would need a card capable of managing the VR helmet and a control screen to see what the student sees.

I would like to have a configuration to host the next live HTC with integrated eye tracking that will be perfect to activate the virtual controls without moving the head (hopefully P3D will be compatible with the eye tracking of the new live HTC).

Other question:

Do you know if we can open other control windows on P3D on another screen? For example, have the VR retransmission and on a second screen a window to manage the weather for example or have the current flight path on a map seen from above?
And control it without the simulation pausing for the student?
edonicoga

Re: graphic card for VR P3D ?

Post by edonicoga »

minimun you can go for nvidia GTX 1060 3 o 6 gb , 190-250 usd

or better

gtx 1070 or 1070 TI 350 usd or more aprox

dont buy rtx , prepar3d dont use raytracing.
HorNet505

Post by HorNet505 »

I own a 1080 and there is only stuttering using Oculus Rift.
I even notice light stuttern without the Oculus and haven't found a solution yet.
MartinM

Post by MartinM »

I am on VR with an Oculus Rift since feb last year.

The whole package is the key. I had a GTX 1060ti with 6GB Ram and it was not sufficient. I had to chance due to DCS, P3D to a GTX 1080ti 8GB.

i7-7700k @4.5Ghz
32GB Ram
GTX1080ti 8GB
ASW OFF
SS 1.5
Samsung Pro 850 SSD

Still, with this I still have stuttering depending on how much scenery and what plane you use. The AS Airbus Pro drags the frames from 40fps down to 20.

What I found, is that if I use ProcessLasso I can optimize the frames for the better. I can roughly stabilize at a 35-45 fps.
AI carrier.NET is a CPU hog. It drags 15% CPU. No idea for what.

Some microstutters remain and autogen keeps loading slow on ORBX FTX sceneries.

Still searching a way to get rid of those

As today the prices are reasonably low for a 2080ti, I would go for the best. Calculate it this way. It will be with you for a couple of years and pay off.
Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 | Intel i7-9700K | 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S
Amrein

Post by Amrein »

Hello,
I'm currently running an Academic version of P3D on Windows 10 with Oculus Rift DK2 and FlyInside P3D support (I've nVidia GTX 1050). I'm having these appearing when I'm starting a flight: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG and DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET. Should I get a more powerful graphics card? I'm a college student and I'm on a tight budget.

customwritingcompany
Patrick Amrein, Rocky Mountain College
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

You should, first of all, get Windows 10 updated to v. 2004, and hold off on any graphics card purchases. The DXGI errors are DX12 errors.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.