Titan RTX question & P3D 4.4+ optimisation...

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
craigeaglefire

Titan RTX question & P3D 4.4+ optimisation...

Post by craigeaglefire »

hi all,

i have a question about the new Titan RTX v RTX 2080Ti...

i would almost assume that the LM P3Dv4.4 test benches have been/are investigating these 2 cards with P3Dv4.4 (plus what is coming down the track)...

i am looking to upgrade my 7700K with 32GB system RAM to a 9900K (32GB+ System RAM) & my Strix 1080 with 8GB VRAM to a new high-end GPU...

@4K screen resolution for main P3D screen...

the actual reason for my question is 'future-proofing' - specifically the 24GB VRAM available on the Titan RTX now...

& i note that flight sim is my passion & i am reading many comments - for instance with XP11 - that 11GB of VRAM can get fully utilised rather easily...

P3Dv4 is my sim of choice with plenty of Orbx, plenty of addon airports & CityScapes & wonderful utilities like FSiPanel 2017 (great for practising all sorts of approaches & quick way of using all my addons in different worldwide locales/sceneries)...

is P3Dv4.4+ optimised for fully utilising the available system RAM & VRAM?

also, i note that the disk i/o of P3Dv4.4 could benefit from some P3Dv4.4+ software optimisation with W10 Pro 64 (currently, using 512GB 960 Pro NVMe M.2 for Win Pro 64 OS plus lots of addon airports, & 1TB 850 Evo Sata III for P3Dv4.4 & Orbx & other addons...

Using HWInfo64 for system analysis...

your expert advice would be most appreciated...

craig
australia
AnkH

Re: Titan RTX question & P3D 4.4+ optimisation...

Post by AnkH »

craigeaglefire wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 am the actual reason for my question is 'future-proofing' - specifically the 24GB VRAM available on the Titan RTX now...
Buying hardware for the future (e.g. "futureproof") is something I would never do. In the moment the 11GB VRAM are not sufficient anymore, the raw power of the TITAN RTX will anyway not be enough anymore that you can profit from the bigger RAM. A GTX-480 with 8GB RAM would still be slow, no?

Means: either you can already use the 24GB VRAM of the TITAN RTX or you go for a RTX-2080Ti instead. The moment the 11GB are not sufficient anymore, you will be able to invest the "saved" money into a new GPU at that specific time... A GPU that will be most probably a lot faster than the TITAN RTX...
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
downscc

Post by downscc »

The 11GB I have available in my 1080Ti x2 SLI never loads to more than 9GB... I cannot imagine that spending money on 24GB would be money well spent for flight simulation.

Also, I want to point out that using the maximum amount of memory is not any kind of measure of merit. The amount of memory in use or allocated has no correlation to performance unless there isn't enough memory.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

I've capped out my 2080Ti SLI setup VRAM ... 11GB is not enough for P3D when using additional tweaks with add-ons. I'm looking into the Titan RTX 24GB with a water cooled/chiller solution to drive three 4K res image units.

Having a single GPU will reduce CPU loads by about 17% (vs. 2 GPUs) but I'm still not sure how the Titan RTX will handle three 4K units at 74,649,600 pixels.

From the gaming performance numbers I've seen the Titan RTX is about 5% higher on the FPS front at single 4K res.

If anyone has solid repeatable testing data for P3D with a single Titan RTX, please do share.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
downscc

Post by downscc »

Rob Ainscough wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:39 pm I've capped out my 2080Ti SLI setup VRAM ... 11GB is not enough for P3D when using additional tweaks with add-ons.
What tweaks might those be Rob? I'm using the high resolution texture settings with the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 tweak and as I said I never see more that 9GB used of my 11GB VRAM (using HWiFO). What am I missing?
Dan Downs
KCRP
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

Rob Ainscough wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:39 pm I've capped out my 2080Ti SLI setup VRAM ... 11GB is not enough for P3D when using additional tweaks with add-ons. I'm looking into the Titan RTX 24GB with a water cooled/chiller solution to drive three 4K res image units.

Having a single GPU will reduce CPU loads by about 17% (vs. 2 GPUs) but I'm still not sure how the Titan RTX will handle three 4K units at 74,649,600 pixels.
From the gaming performance numbers I've seen the Titan RTX is about 5% higher on the FPS front at single 4K res.

If anyone has solid repeatable testing data for P3D with a single Titan RTX, please do share.
Cheers, Rob.
The ASUS workstation series WS Z-390 motherboard (currently $389) has a PLX chip to efficiently allocate PCI lanes, which ASUS says allow the WS workstation motherboard to effectively operate 3 GPUs at 8x 8x 8x which may be a more efficient rout to better performance than trying to sell off the 2080ti cards to buy one Titan.
Also, AMD during its Vega launch advertised an ability for the card to allow owners to effectively allocate some amount of system RAM as extra GPU memory. During the more-recent Ryzen3 and x570 CPU/chipset campaign, AMD again mentioned something similar in an ability to allocate system RAM to the GPU. Hard data and usage examples have been elusive for such a feature, but I have not exactly been searching for it either.
Would be shocked if AMD could do something like effectively expand GPU memory using system RAM and Intel couldn't. So, this too might be a more efficient route to achieving better GPU performance without having to throw out your 2080ti investment
Daniel
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

Oops. Did I say THREE GPUs at 8x?
Because ASUS says the PLX equipped WS Z390 can do up to FOUR GPU's running: 8x, 8x, 8x, 8x
Daniel