HDD to SSD

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
N697DT

HDD to SSD

Post by N697DT »

Hi All,

I just bought a Samsung EVO 860 SSD, 500 GB and I want to dedicate it for P3D v4.2 only. It's currently installed on the HDD. How do I go about installing it on the SSD? I have Windows 10 on the HDD. Does it need to be installed to the SSD first, then install P3D? I have a lot of add-ons too(ORBX, A2A, Active Sky, PMDG). Do they go on the SSD I would assume? I kind of need someone to hold my hand through all of this if possible. My SSD is installed and ready for action. Thank you!
Dack
downscc

Re: HDD to SSD

Post by downscc »

You'll need to uninstall all addons and P3D, and install on your new SSD. Be aware that P3D will continue to use about 13GB on the C: drive regardless of where else it is installed. Orbx, Active Sky and PMDG need to be installed to the P3D root directory (their installers will take care of this, not your problem) but most scenery addon (other than Orbx) can be installed to SSD or any other drive. There's nothing tricky that requires hand holding, just uninstall old, install new.

Not a bad idea to check P3D working once in awhile while installing addons. Also, don't think your 500GB is so large you don't worry about space... not true. You have plenty for what you've listed but even if you don't have the new Orbx True Earth Netherlands, if you have all their regions right there you've gone through half of your SSD. My new SSD is 2TB for comparison.
Dan Downs
KCRP
N697DT

Post by N697DT »

Thanks Dan. Will do. Should I install windows 10 first and then p3d, and then addons to the ssd? I really don’t care if windows is fast or not. Right now I just want to use th sad forP3D. Thanks
mopperle

Post by mopperle »

Why do you want to install WIndows 10 at all?
I assume it is already installed on your harddisk. Simply add the SSD as 2nd disk to your PC, Windows should detect it, format it, then Install P3D and all your addons on the SSD. But as Dan said, uninstall your flightsim stuff first. And uninstalling means uninstalling and not just deleting files.
Thanks
Otto
N697DT

Post by N697DT »

mopperle wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:45 pm Why do you want to install WIndows 10 at all?
I assume it is already installed on your harddisk. Simply add the SSD as 2nd disk to your PC, Windows should detect it, format it, then Install P3D and all your addons on the SSD. But as Dan said, uninstall your flightsim stuff first. And uninstalling means uninstalling and not just deleting files.
I was under the impression that I had to put an OS on my SSD. So I can go in and uninstall all of my P3D stuff off of the HDD, and then reinstall on my SSD with nothing else to do? I don't need to get into the BIOS, etc?