CH Pro Throttle configuration issues in P3D v3.4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
andy1252

CH Pro Throttle configuration issues in P3D v3.4

Post by andy1252 »

Hi,

I've just bought and installed a set of CH Products Pro Throttle, Fighterstick and Pro Pedals. I assumed they would be pretty much plug and play but I'm having no luck getting the throttle to function in the sim.

I initially set everything up using the CH Control Manager but couldn't get that to work and on the suggestion from another user on the ORBX forums I removed the software and drivers, reinstalled the kit as basic P&P with Windows drivers and tried again.

I can calibrate everything apparently successfully in the P3D settings panel. I have only the appropriate axes defined on each of the three products and all seem to have calibrated ok, but when I try and fly, the throttle slider has no effect, I have to use the mouse or keyboard.

I have found another thread on here (http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... o+throttle) that had a lot of different suggestions and options, but nothing definitive. Some folk said use FSUIPC (registered) for configuration, some said don't - just use P3D's panel, some said use the CHCM, some said don't.

So, is there any up to date recommendation or definitive answer as to what should work? Seems a bit silly that I can fly quite happily with a Speedlink Black widow but not with something costing nearly twenty times as much.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Andy

(I'm running P3D3.4.9.18400 and I do have a registered copy of FSUIPC)
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: CH Pro Throttle configuration issues in P3D v3.4

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hi Andy,
I can calibrate everything apparently successfully in the P3D settings panel. I have only the appropriate axes defined on each of the three products and all seem to have calibrated ok, but when I try and fly, the throttle slider has no effect, I have to use the mouse or keyboard.
Did you calibrate the device from within Prepar3D via Settings > Options > Controls > Calibration Tab > Calibrate Device? If so, did the user interface indicate that input was being received from you throttle axis?

Also, being that you are on v3.4.9, you may want to try doing a Client only update to the latest version to see if that fixes your issue. In the current release of Prepar3D (v3.4.22), users have the ability to switch between DirectInput and Raw Input control APIs. Perhaps your device will work correctly with the latter.

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
andy1252

Re: CH Pro Throttle configuration issues in P3D v3.4

Post by andy1252 »

Hi Clifton,

thanks for the reply. I calibrated all three new devices (CH pro pedals, throttle and fighterstick) through the exact sequence you mentioned. All three devices calibrated ok and you could see the input being received and the axes indicators moving ok. So everthing looked and behaved exactly as I would expect it to in the P3D settings screens, but whenever I try to fly in the sim moving the throttle slider had no effect at all. If I set the throttle axis to the trim wheel on the stick that works fine, but not the throttle device slider itself.

In the end, I've used FSUIPC to set the axis and calibrate the throttle device slider, and it is working fine now, so it's not the physical throttle. All my other settings (axes, buttons etc) are being handled ok so far with pure P3D rather than FSUIPC so I'll probably just run like this until and unless anything else happens. So from my point of view you can mark this one 'resolved', even if we don't know what's actually happening.

I'd rather not do a client update at the moment - too many other changes going on right now, but whenever I do my next P3D update I'll retry setting the throttle up 'native' again and see what happens.

cheers,

Andy