PREPAR3D V3.4 PC COMPONENTS

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Magyartom

PREPAR3D V3.4 PC COMPONENTS

Postby Magyartom » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi There,
I am not very technically minded when it comes to computers so please be patient and make some allowances.
I have spent a considerable time surfing various other forums for a possible answer to my problems which so far have not been resolved yet. I was just wondering if any of you experts out there could help me, and I thank you in advance.

SCENARIO
Using aircraft Mooney Accclaim 1000, sitting at runway 09 left London Heathrow (EGLL).
No addons, Scenery sliders set to maximum, except special effects - detail and distance are set to medium. Traffic set to 30%, frame settings are at 30 fps. nothing else. I am only able to get 8fps!

USING REAL TEMP
The CPU temperature 58ºC.
The load is 43%.
Core 0 is running at 100% ( as it usually does) core 1, 2, and 3 between 40% and 60%.

USING NVIDIA INSPECTOR
GPU 1
Temperature is 55ºC.
The load is 26%.
GPU 2
Temperature is 41%.
The load is 43%.
I have not made any changes in the Nvidia Inspector profile section, as I wouldn't have a clue as to how.
I am using two monitors for two wing views, one monitor for instrument gauges, and one monitor for outside front view.
May I am being naive, but I was hoping to be able to get at least between 25 - 30 fps, anything above that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. Yes I know that the CPU and the GPU are old compared to modern ones. Those readings above just don't make any sense to me. I would have expected the cpu and the gpu's to be maxed out, and at least OOM and BSOD, but no, everything is stable.
Probably, the pc components need to be upgraded, or just one or two. I do not wish to spend my money on expensive components unless I can be sure of my expectations can be realised.

RELEVANT COMPUTER DETAILS
FLIGHT SIMULATOR Prepared3D V3.4
MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.1)
CPU i5 2500k Over clocked to 4.7 GHz (With Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo)
GPU 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570
MEMORY Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 240-pin DIMM
MONITORS 3 X aoc 20 inch and 1 X viewsonic 20 inch
PSU Corsair TX850 V2 CMPSU-850TXV2 850W
H.D.D. Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 500GB 7200 RPM SATA III 16MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive
S.S.D. Crucial CT240M500SSD1 ATA ( For Prepar3D)
OPERATING SYTEM = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full Version

THANK YOU.

elmucki

Re: PREPAR3D V3.4 PC COMPONENTS

Postby elmucki » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:07 pm

the only thing i can see is that your GPU is dated... Is that a 1GB cardand are you running them in SLI? you did state you have two. Your CPU seems to be fine, the rest of the specs are okay. Like i said, your GPU could be the culprit here.

Magyartom

Postby Magyartom » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi there,

I really did not expect such a quick response, but I am pleased.

Each card has 1.280Gb memory. I had tried the cards in SLI configuration, but that just made matters worse. I am running two monitors off each card without SLI.. Do you think a new card could be the answer? Which one could you suggest. I only have a room for two 9.5 inches in length.

Thank you.

vtracy

Postby vtracy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Hi,
I have tried several cards in the past, am now at 2XTITAN Z(! not X) with 4GB each. On a suggestion from simmershome.de, I run the three monitors that give me the 160 degree view from the cockpit on one card, and the (4th) monitor showing the instrument panel on the second. Before, I had 2XGTX780ti. The only reason I bought the TITANs is the increased VRAM. With these combo, I have around 30fps. Rainer (simmershome) made me aware that the access width of the cards is important, i. e. whether it has 256 or 384bit acces path. Of course, the MoBo must support 2X384 bit width (which I had not checked when buying my previous board).
Driver-wise, it seems that not always is the latest driver the best; look up Rainer's fora to find what he is using. He is constantly testing hard- and software and knows a lot about cause and effect.
Of course, I am using a i7 w. 6 CPUs, 16GB RAM, SSDs for OS and P3D. Especially, the SSDs made a big difference in fps...
Hope that helps...
Volker
suaviter in modo fortiter in re

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”