[RESOLVED] P3D Reinstall?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
flemon

[RESOLVED] P3D Reinstall?

Postby flemon » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:51 am

Specs:
i7 CPU @4.0GHz
GTX 960 2gb
8gb RAM

I currently have Windows 10, P3Dv3 and my addons (as a320, various sceneries, asn) all on one 128GB SSD. I have a virtually empty 1TB HDD but I don't think I should use this for P3D.
My SSD is filling up fast and I've already experienced problems with having P3D installed in the programm files (unable to edit cfg's for the airbus when I'm installing a new livery).

I can afford a new SSD (Sandisk 128GB. Is this a good brand? My current SSD is Samsung but I'm pretty sure Sandisk are good.) which I think would be suitable to storage etc. I only wish to have various sceneries and aircraft / utilities like GSx and EZDok. No ORBX Full Terrains stuff which will eat up storage fast and kill my fps.

I've looked around the forums but I just want to make sure I know what to do!:

1. Is there a way to reinstall P3D from its current location on to a new SSD? (i'm sure there is but I remember seeing on a forum on Avsim that a person couldn't do it and had to subsequently buy a new version of P3D)

2. Does P3D work fine if its isolated from the Programm files?

3. With the reinstall, will P3D just reinstall its own files or will it take my addons with it as well i.e will my AS A320 be reinstalled when P3D reinstalls or will I have to just run the installer again and place it in the new SSD?

Thank you so much for the help in advance!

Mike LM

Re: P3D Reinstall?

Postby Mike LM » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:52 pm

flemon -

1. The best way to move the Prepar3D installation location is to uninstall it, and then reinstall it in the desired directory. Note that Prepar3D requires some space on your OS drive regardless of where it is installed.
  2. You do not need to install Prepar3D in "Program Files". This can be changed by selecting "configure" in the installation menu. As mentioned above, Prepar3D will require some space on your OS drive, regardless of where you install it.
  3. It depends on which add-ons are installed and where they are located. Some add-ons will overwrite Prepar3D core files, while others are completely outside of the Prepar3D installation location. The safest way is to uninstall all of your add-ons, uninstall Prepar3D, reinstall Prepar3D, then reinstall your add-ons.
- Mike
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

flemon

Postby flemon » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

My OS SSD has plenty of space for some files for P3D so that's fine.

I have my P3D and other addon installers on the HDD, so the installers will just ask for a code that I was given and that will still work? (for p3d that is)

Thanks again

MHargrove

Postby MHargrove » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:57 pm

flemon wrote:Thanks for the quick reply!

My OS SSD has plenty of space for some files for P3D so that's fine.

I have my P3D and other addon installers on the HDD, so the installers will just ask for a code that I was given and that will still work? (for p3d that is)

Thanks again

As long as you do a product uninstall first, then yes: you can reinstall with your same key.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO

flemon

Postby flemon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:50 am

Ok, thanks for the help!

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”