System hang preparing files

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
vgbaron

Postby vgbaron » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Have latest P3D installed on a W7 64 bit system and it has been running just fine. It is on it's own dedicated VRaptor drive with almost 100G free. Was playing around with a product called FaceTrack Noir which uses a webcam as a head tracker. Seemed to be just fine. used it that way for several days without problem. Then yesterday got an error that p3D stopped working - so I shut down and rebooted. Then had to shut down for the evening.

Yesterday when I booted and started P3D, I did NOT get the P3D splash screen, I got the P3D install screen with a message that P3D was "preparing" files and lots of furious disk activity. Waited over 5 minutes with no movement of the progress bar and still lots of disk activity before I shut down and restored P3D from a backup. It is now working just fine.

Ran a disk check and no errors there. This system has been a stable platform for FSX in the past.

Any thoughts on what caused the reinstall attempt and how to avoid it in the future?

Thanx,

Vic

janvaane

Postby janvaane » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Type "RELIAB" [without quotes] and ENTER in the START button of W7 and get back in the time schedule to find out which module/file causes the sim to stop. .

***Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Reliability Monitor

http://janvaane.org/virtualfsx/?page_id=888
|KLM149 | i7-8700k-16GB | Radeon RX580 8GB| flightsimeindhoven.com |

vgbaron

Postby vgbaron » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Sorry - been away - it was the terrain.dll that crashed but no problems since restoring from backup. Hopefully a fluke.

thanx!

Return to “Other Support Questions”