FSX support for Prepar3D

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Paavo

Postby Paavo » Fri May 04, 2012 7:55 am

I have just today released a backwards compatibility tool for Prepar3D, which adds better support for FSX addons, especially those with installers - see FSX support for Prepar3D.

It's quite simple. After you install it, you can easily create a virtual FSX installation pointing to Prepar3D. Installers are fooled into believing that they are seeing a valid FSX installation instead of Prepar3D. Almost all addons install themselves with no issues at all. For example, we got PMDG's 747 and Aerosoft's Mega Airport series airports installed just fine with absolutely no hand tweaking needed. Even my old favourite, Digital Aviation's Fokker 70 / 100 (released in 2008!) installed properly and its complex automated flight system still works like charm in Prepar3D.

Here it is at FlyLogic's Bern Belp:

DA-F70-Belp.jpg

And of course, lets not forget Lockheed Martin.

Here's Captain Sim's Lockheed C-130 over Edwards AFB:

CS-C130-Edwards1.jpg

For more information and images, visit http://www.flightsim.ee/products/fsx-support-for-prepar3d

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Fri May 04, 2012 9:13 am

VERY COOL !! A P3D App waiting to happen, and you jumped in and made it. Congratulations. WIsh you every success.

What happens if you also already have FSX installed ? How does it tell the REAL from the Virtual FSX ?

Is it also needed, and does it work, to UNINSTALL ?

Paavo

Postby Paavo » Fri May 04, 2012 9:57 am

Quote:

Quote from FSMP on May 4, 2012, 09:13

VERY COOL !! A P3D App waiting to happen, and you jumped in and made it. Congratulations. WIsh you every success.

Thank you for your kind words.

Quote:

What happens if you also already have FSX installed ? How does it tell the REAL from the Virtual FSX ?

The initial goal was to allow side-by-side presence of FSX, virtual FSX and Prepar3D. Unfortunately, it was not possible because many addons place files outside of simulator's folder.

For example, if I recall correctly, Reality XP Flight Line instruments have their own settings folders in standard system folders. If you make two installations of instruments, one for FSX and the other for Prepar3D (using virtual FSX folder), then you'll actually have only one set of settings. And should you uninstall one installation, the other will lose it's settings too.

Since I can't predict where files may be placed, I can't protect against deletion of them. Having a real FSX installed on the system would make the chance of corrupting it quite high.

If you wish to have both FSX and Prepar3D installed and have a spare license of Windows (of an older version, for example), you can always install two versions of Windows and run FSX from the older one.

Quote:

Is it also needed, and does it work, to UNINSTALL ?

You don't need FSX to create virtual FSX folder.

My tool works for uninstallations also and in addition you can browse the virtual folder on your own, if you wish to add a repaint to aircraft.cfg or make other common changes.

Here's the interface:

FSXSupport.png

Its manual is publicly available from:

http://www.flightsim.ee/download/manuals/FSX2Prepar3D.pdf

akstirling

Postby akstirling » Fri May 04, 2012 11:08 am

Hi ...

Paavo ...

like the look of this and am keeping my fingers crossed it will do the trick with RXP's gns530 which i miss a lot in P3D. Just one small side issue. I'm one of the people who followed advice to use the Flight1 Registry Tool to assist with using FSX installers ... can I use your tool with my system as is or should I remove the Registry entry it created(if yes, advice as to how to do that would be appreciated as I tend to steer clear of the Registry for obvious reasons) ...

Alan

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Fri May 04, 2012 12:07 pm

From the maual :

Quote:

Prepar3D must be installed under Program Files, otherwise it

is impossible to create virtual FSX installation. This is due to

very core architecture of Windows operation systems.

Does thsi mean that one cannot install P3D on a windows 7 system under "Program Files (x86)".

Also, many have found it a "Windows Secuity Over-ride advanatage" to install FSX /P3D outside ofthe Windows "Program Files" structure, to help avoid some of the Secirity and permissions issues, when modiying files in that structure.

ie Install in C:/FSX or D:/P3D

Is this permissable with your system ?

Paavo

Postby Paavo » Fri May 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Quote:

Quote from akstirling on May 4, 2012, 11:08

like the look of this and am keeping my fingers crossed it will do the trick with RXP's gns530 which i miss a lot in P3D. Just one small side issue. I'm one of the people who followed advice to use the Flight1 Registry Tool to assist with using FSX installers ... can I use your tool with my system as is or should I remove the Registry entry it created(if yes, advice as to how to do that would be appreciated as I tend to steer clear of the Registry for obvious reasons) ...

I see no reason why there should be conflicts if you ran FSX uninstaller and then used Flight1's Registry Tool. However, you can easily remove FSX registry entries by downloading http://www.flightsim.ee/download/misc/DeleteFSXRegistryEntries.zip and following instructions. Takes less than a minute.

Quote:

Quote from FSMP on May 4, 2012, 12:07

Does thsi mean that one cannot install P3D on a windows 7 system under "Program Files (x86)".?

It can be in "Program Files (x86)" too.

Quote:

Quote from FSMP on May 4, 2012, 12:07

Also, many have found it a "Windows Secuity Over-ride advanatage" to install FSX /P3D outside ofthe Windows "Program Files" structure, to help avoid some of the Secirity and permissions issues, when modiying files in that structure.

ie Install in C:/FSX or D:/P3D

Is this permissable with your system ?

It is not permitted. Prepar3D must be on the same drive as Program Files. If Program Files is C:\Program Files, then Prepar3D must be installed somewhere in C:\ tree, because Windows does not support "virtual folders" across different drives. Having all your programs in Program Files is also a recommended practice by Microsoft.

To overcome security issues, I suggest simply changing Prepar3D "folder owner". See http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm and http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-quick-way-to-take-ownership-of-filefolder/ (offers one-click utility) for instructions.

Dumpcore

Postby Dumpcore » Fri May 04, 2012 5:46 pm

It is not permitted. Prepar3D must be on the same drive as Program Files. If Program Files is C:\Program Files, then Prepar3D must be installed somewhere in C:\ tree, because Windows does not support "virtual folders" across different drives. Having all your programs in Program Files is also a recommended practice by Microsoft.

Many users have their P3D installation in a dedicated drive, with more capacity and performance than their Windows drive. Not a very good solution for them, including dedicated RAID drives.

Paavo

Postby Paavo » Sat May 05, 2012 11:05 am

I am happy to say that while answering a support ticket on the very same issue, I figured out how to get around Program Files limitation. An update will be available within few days.

Dumpcore

Postby Dumpcore » Sat May 05, 2012 11:16 am

Excelent!!

Good support and thanks for solving that evident limitation.

Regards,

Dump

akstirling

Postby akstirling » Sun May 06, 2012 10:16 am

Paavo ...

how do i get help with this? ... problems installing

Paavo

Postby Paavo » Sun May 06, 2012 10:45 am

Please use http://tracker.flightsim.ee/ for support.

I suggest you try version 1.1 first, available from http://www.flightsim.ee/products/fsx-to-prepar3d-migration-tool (scroll to bottom).

Version 1.1 was released just today, and now features limited support for side-by-side installations of FSX and Prepar3D, and full support for Prepar3D installations on drives other than Windows drive. Details are at http://www.flightsim.ee/news/2012/fsx-to-prepar3d-migration-tool-updated

Burkhard

Postby Burkhard » Mon May 07, 2012 4:25 am

While the idea is clever, I as an author of addons see no way to give support to users who use this way instead of the official one I present to them, case an unusual problem appears. It may work well, but if there is a problem I cannot support.

JimboG

Postby JimboG » Mon May 07, 2012 4:55 am

Congratulations Paavo, good work!

I've just bought your utility and am hoping that it will come in useful as I continue my migration to P3D.

I am glad that you found a way to allow a side-by-side installation with FSX as I had to "leave" my FSX installation alone but "out of commission" in order for some of my other add-ons to be re-installed into P3D correctly. In other words there is still an amount of "other stuff" that FSX leaves behind that needs to be present that I could not risk fully uninstalling FSX.

Perhaps in my next build I will be able to use your utility with P3D only.

Nice work- now when will you be releasing TrackIR support? (Sorry, I couldn't help it! - it seems to be the question of the day on many forums of late...)

Kind regards,

James Gillies

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Mon May 07, 2012 9:10 am

Quote:

Quote from Paavo on May 5, 2012, 11:05

I am happy to say that while answering a support ticket on the very same issue, I figured out how to get around Program Files limitation. An update will be available within few days.

GOOD move ;)

Paavo

Postby Paavo » Mon May 07, 2012 10:57 am

Quote:

Quote from JimboG on May 7, 2012, 04:55

I am glad that you found a way to allow a side-by-side installation with FSX as I had to "leave" my FSX installation alone but "out of commission" in order for some of my other add-ons to be re-installed into P3D correctly. In other words there is still an amount of "other stuff" that FSX leaves behind that needs to be present that I could not risk fully uninstalling FSX.

With my tool, there is actually nothing from FSX that has to be present. A computer that doesn't have and has never even had FSX will work perfectly fine with the tool, and it is in fact suggested that FSX is not installed. All necessary "leftovers" of FSX to guarantee proper functioning of legacy installers are automatically created.

Quote:

Quote from JimboG on May 7, 2012, 04:55

Nice work- now when will you be releasing TrackIR support? (Sorry, I couldn't help it! - it seems to be the question of the day on many forums of late...)

I do not have TrackIR and I cannot confirm the status of TrackIR at the moment. However, I am working on version 1.2, which is going to support EZdok Camera Addon and perhaps TrackIR is going to work in combination with EZCA. I will at this to test list and let someone with TrackIR try it out.

Return to “Other Support Questions”