USCG C130 GPS

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
tdumontelle

USCG C130 GPS

Post by tdumontelle »

P3dv4.5

How do I get the C130 to track the GPS route? When I set the AP function to GPS, it does not follow. I can get it to track the heading and altitude without a problem.

Thanks
I4790K 4 core at 4ghz w/HT
EVGA 1660TI 6gb
16 RAM
Windows 7 64bit
27 inch monitor at 1080p (60hz only)
Active Sky P3d, UTL, UTX, FTX Global Base, Vector, NA landclass
Martyson

Re: USCG C130 GPS

Post by Martyson »

I did a screenshot after I intercepted the flight plan route and engaged nav mode.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
tdumontelle

Post by tdumontelle »

Thanks for the photo.

That looks like what I had going on, except I had the heading switch up to normal instead of heading mode (although I tried both ways). I set my heading to intercept the route and then clicked over to GPS. The plane flew past the route and kept going off on its own direction. I also tried to intercept a VOR radial...it came close, but then started banking back and forth crossing over the radial without ever really locking on to it.

I run GPS routes with a number of other aircraft, but as I'm sitting here thinking of it, this is the first time I've really used the P3D4 flight planner. Usually I use an outside freeware program to make my flight plans, so maybe there is a disconnect because I used that software that updates the stock navaids. I will try my regular planner and see if that works. At least I have the procedure down correct.

It's actually a really nice model for a stock company aircraft. I downloaded an older POH for it and went through some of the checklist procedures and was amazed at how detailed the fuel pump system worked as pressures rose and fell for testes.

Side question, is there a switch for ground power? Or a switch to power the aircraft with the APU? Or are these automatic?
EVGA 1660TI 6gb
16 RAM
Windows 7 64bit
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

tdumontelle wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:06 pm Thanks for the photo.

That looks like what I had going on, except I had the heading switch up to normal instead of heading mode (although I tried both ways). I set my heading to intercept the route and then clicked over to GPS. The plane flew past the route and kept going off on its own direction. I also tried to intercept a VOR radial...it came close, but then started banking back and forth crossing over the radial without ever really locking on to it.

I run GPS routes with a number of other aircraft, but as I'm sitting here thinking of it, this is the first time I've really used the P3D4 flight planner. Usually I use an outside freeware program to make my flight plans, so maybe there is a disconnect because I used that software that updates the stock navaids. I will try my regular planner and see if that works. At least I have the procedure down correct.

It's actually a really nice model for a stock company aircraft. I downloaded an older POH for it and went through some of the checklist procedures and was amazed at how detailed the fuel pump system worked as pressures rose and fell for testes.

Side question, is there a switch for ground power? Or a switch to power the aircraft with the APU? Or are these automatic?
Do a screenshot like mine to show your problem with GPS mode.

Note:
For other problems / topics it is best to start a new topic.
Best Regards,
tdumontelle

Post by tdumontelle »

Image2019-9-16_18-54-51-314 by Tyler DuMontelle, on Flickr

I intercepted at a reasonable angle and it just kept going. This time I used a Plan-G route.
EVGA 1660TI 6gb
16 RAM
Windows 7 64bit
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

tdumontelle wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:59 am I intercepted at a reasonable angle and it just kept going. This time I used a Plan-G route.
Did the aircraft continue straight for miles or did it turn back to pick up a previous waypoint?
Best Regards,
tdumontelle

Post by tdumontelle »

It kept going over 10 miles. I forwarded 1 waypoint and it still kept going. On a whim I tuned the next VOR frequency and it started to track that while I had the knob turned to GPS, so it's like it doesn't recognize the GPS signal. I found the documentation in the folder and looked for a generic GPS/NAV switch, but I didn't see one. I also tried the USMC plane with the same results.

I wonder if it could be because my default flight aircraft does not have an autopilot. Carenado 172.

side note: I did figure out the ground and APU power. ;)
EVGA 1660TI 6gb
16 RAM
Windows 7 64bit
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

tdumontelle wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:20 am It kept going over 10 miles. I forwarded 1 waypoint and it still kept going. On a whim I tuned the next VOR frequency and it started to track that while I had the knob turned to GPS, so it's like it doesn't recognize the GPS signal. I found the documentation in the folder and looked for a generic GPS/NAV switch, but I didn't see one. I also tried the USMC plane with the same results.

I wonder if it could be because my default flight aircraft does not have an autopilot. Carenado 172.

side note: I did figure out the ground and APU power. ;)

Without a sequence of screenshots (or video) I cannot tell what you are set up for (screenshot)?
I did your flight KNPA PIE KMIA.
No problems with flying GPS route.
My default flight is the LM F22 at KVPS.

If you tell me about your departure panel setup and the steps you take to fly the departure and get on the GPS route I could test the same.

Or, I may be able to spot what is going wrong based on your description.

Heading south (HDG select) to pick up the route (HSI heading bug) and then selecting GPS to intercept the route (HSI CRS deviation (screenshot).

Best Regards,
tdumontelle

Post by tdumontelle »

I'm not in front of my computer at the moment, but in general...

Route loaded into the GPS.

I take off runway heading, retract gear and flaps. At 1000ft I power the AP and select altitude (18000) and heading, by pressing engage and track, with the switch set to heading. The plane tracks the heading and climbs, and I reduce power to maintain 160KIAS.

As in your example I approach the GPS track going south and when I get within 5 miles or so of the track I switch from heading to GPS. It crosses the track and keeps on going. I did not set the course nob to the GPS course (southeasterly) as I thought that was only used to track VOR and worked independently of the GPS. So maybe my error is that I need to set the CRS to match the GPS course. I didn't think I remember seeing the CRS deviation needle react to the GPS deviation though. Assuming that is the problem, then you would need to change the CRS at each waypoint? As a practice, even when following a GPS/FMS course in modern aircraft, I will tune the VOR's along the course as a back up to verify position and navigation.

I'll try some changes and post more pictures tonight when I get home.
EVGA 1660TI 6gb
16 RAM
Windows 7 64bit
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Form your screenshot (unlike the one I did) I could not tell what you were selecting/tracking.
That is why I asked for your panel setup when you are ready for takeoff and then turning to intercept and when you switch to GPS (before the hook up to the route line).

Let me know after your next test.
Best Regards,