Autogen Delayed Loading

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
rockliffe

Autogen Delayed Loading

Post by rockliffe »

I have been very happy with the improvements made to the loading of photoscenery textures in 4.4, however, the old issue of delayed autogen loading still appears to be present. I thought this had been corrected in 4.4? The perfect example is switching from one view to another, when all a city's buildings can be seen loading. If I return the the previous view, again, all the autogen starts to load. This happens within about half to one second. It is very annoying. I was under the impression that with the new 4.4 realease, autogen was supposed to stay in memory longer, to prevent this from hapenning?? I see exactly the same issue as in v4.3. Is there something I need to change in the cfg? Help and feedback with this issue would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: Autogen Delayed Loading

Post by Beau Hollis »

Photo scenery terrain textures load at full resolution now, and autogen models support PBR materials, but 4.4 doesn't include any major changes to how autogen loading works. We suggest tuning the autogen density and draw distance sliders to improve loading speeds.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

I also suffered from this, but only if I selected anything higher than "medium" for "autogen draw distance". Until I dug deeper into this and with some testing of Rob Ainscough. I finally set an internal frame lock of 30FPS (VSYNC on but triple buffering off), reduced my monitor refresh rate to 120Hz to have an even multiplier compared to my 30FPS and finally, I have a super smooth P3Dv4.4 in 98% of the scenarios and no delayed autogen loading anymore, currently even with "very high" (the second highest setting). Don't ask me which of the above finally resolved the autogen loading (I guess it is the frame limiter alone), but I am happy now. Even after a 3-4h flight, my autogen is still properly loaded when descending to my destination and I do not observe the patchy loading anymore, maybe on very rare occasions at the very end of the draw distance (if weather allows to see that far).
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
delly

Post by delly »

I was a long time user of v3 and I have just purchased v4.4. I am using Orbx UK.

This is a very fast pc and everything runs at 25-50fps but Autogen appears way worse than it used to be in v3, if my memory serves me.

Here is an example, if I fly out of the area I am in (say liverpool) the autogen refuses to load for minutes.Scenery loads fine. Flying from another country is even worse I gave up waiting for it to load and just changed settings to force it to reload.

I am going to try some different affinity masks and reduce autogen but I dont understand, the CPU is not being stressed (many free cores).

Is there a way to prioritise AutoGen load over FPS? Can we move Autogen to specific Core?

Thanks
killthespam

Post by killthespam »

Hi,
If you don't mind I would like to join this post because lots of people have these issues including myself and cannot get any answer.
I made a short video where it shows how scenery has empty blocks (squares) of autogen missing and after a while these blocks start filling in with proper autogen / textures.

My specs are as follows Intel Core i7-8086K @5.0 GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 64GB, WIN10 PRO 64.

This is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pqsob31q2s1n3u/Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D® v4 12_6_2018 2_18_58 PM_Trim.mp4?dl=0

Thank you!
Alex