[RESOLVED] Prepar3D Startup Failing

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
RobsterSF

[RESOLVED] Prepar3D Startup Failing

Post by RobsterSF »

Hi All,

Running Win 10 Pro update 1803. I've run into this same issue twice now. P3D 4.2 installs just fine. Run the app as admin and I'm off to the skies. About half a day later I'll try to launch (running as admin) and it will startup. I see it generating the files then poof I'm at the desktop. If I go to the task manager I see P3d running.

I tried everything here
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=128394

The first time it happened I cold not figure it out so I just wiped the drive, reinstalled OS and P3D and I was off to the races. Today I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Windows is activated, P3D is activated. Not sure where I am going wrong. Windows even thinks the app is running as it says press whatever to record the game etc. Still no luck. Only the one monitor connected so it's not shifting to another display.

Rob
downscc

Re: Prepar3D Startup Failing

Post by downscc »

Reinstalled OS!! OMG that is analogous to building a new house because the floors needed mopping. As a rule, never reinstall software as a troubleshooting step.

Odds are your problem is something amiss in the generated files (configuration files) or an add-on. Basic troubleshooting steps are basically remove addons and re-create the configuration files. Something as simple as an a error in one of the configuration files will cause exactly what you describe.

Start here: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246
Dan Downs
KCRP
RobsterSF

Post by RobsterSF »

Thanks Dan,

Rebuild was quick and easy as this is a new setup and nothing on the box except P3D. It did in fact fix the issue then came back. I'll run through the steps in the link you provided. Seems to be very similar to the ones in the initial link I followed with a few differences. Hopefully something in this new link may help.

Cheers

Rob
RobsterSF

Post by RobsterSF »

Going through the steps did not solve the issue however I was able to locate the issue. Started to reverse engineer. What was odd to me is that P3D would fire up and would be running just not displaying on the screen. Thinking of what should happen after launch the initial flight config page would be next where you select the aircraft, airport, weather etc. I had setup a default to load my aircraft and my airport and that would be next thing to load. Went to the Documents/Prepar3D Files and removed my default. Launch up P3D again and presto all good. Not sure how that file became corrupt and seems this would be the second time given pre rebuild the exact same issue was occurring. At least I know what to look for going forward.

Cheers

Rob