New problem with F-16

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Stickshaker

New problem with F-16

Post by Stickshaker »

In P3Dv4.2 I can only get the F-16 to start properly using the menu (shf-1) if I first load the P3D default flight (not any other flight that I made the default flight), change to an F-16, then enable Mipmap (through Options, General, Display), then hit shf-1, click the menu button, then disable Mipmap again. I am using VR (Rift) with Flyinside and if I do not enable Mipmap I don’t get the menu, but if I enable Mipmap than the simulator screen goes black, except for the menus. In all other flights than de default flight, when I go through this procedure, I hear the engine start and it keeps starting, but the HUD, MFD’s and all other equipment stays off, although if I hover over, for example, the HUD switch with the mouse, I get the tooltip that the HUD is on. Turning it off makes no difference. By the way, when the HUD works, it is excellent. None of the problems of 4.1.
Does this make sense? Not to me.
Best regards,
Stickshaker
Last edited by Rob McCarthy on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typo in title
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: New problem with F-16

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Do you see this issue when not in VR? Also, do you see this issue when using Prepar3D's built-in VR?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Stickshaker

Post by Stickshaker »

Hello Rob,

It’s the strangest thing! I cannot get my Rift to work with the native P3Dv4 VR support. Whether I start the Rift software before or after I start P3D seems to make no difference, and whether I load the F-16 or the default F-22 makes no difference either. Do you have any suggestions what to do?

Best regards,

Stickshaker
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Do you see any error messages when attempting to use the Oculus? Do you see the VR menu options in the menu bar?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Stickshaker

Post by Stickshaker »

No, I do not get any error messages and the menu bar from which I can select ‘change views’ and then Virtual reality’ and then Virtual cockpit’ seems to work. The image on my monitor indeed changes to a view that I assume is the virtual cockpit, but in my Rift I keep seeing the Rift desktop. Note: in my earphones I hear the aircraft engine.
Best regards,
Hans ‘Stickshaker’ Heerkens
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Try shutting down Prepar3D and running the "Delete Generated Files" shortcut in your Prepar3D directory. VR is now enabled through a separate menu in the menu bar. Specific VR views in the camera menus are no longer used.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Stickshaker

Post by Stickshaker »

Hello Rob,
I have VR working now, thanks to your help, but the F-16 still won’t start. That is to say: I hear the engine starting when I click ‘ready for flight’ (so the engine does not start immediately but spools up slowly) and the parking brakes are on, but the HUD and MFDs do not work although the tooltip suggests that the HUD is on.
Best regards,
Stickshaker
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Do the HUD and MFD turn on when not in VR? Also have you updated content to 4.2?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Stickshaker

Post by Stickshaker »

No, VR or no VR does not seem to make any difference, HUD and MFDs are off although the HUD switch tooltip says it is on. I have upgraded to 4.2
Best regards,
Stickshaker
Stickshaker

Post by Stickshaker »

Perhaps I should add that I did not have the starting problem in P3Dv4.0, as far as I can remember. The HUD was very hard to read (that is excellent now), but that was the only problem that I had.